PDA

View Full Version : Pimafix Question

Cichlid_Man
12-22-2006, 08:07 AM
Hi all...
I am still finalizing setup of my son's fish tank and was wondering about Pimafix use on haelthy fish.
The bottle says to use when introducing new fish into a tank?
The LFS told me the fish I bought were just received by them and were very stressed. Pimafix is supposed to be good for that but I am not sure

I have a bunch of LemonTetra, some swords and ghost shrimp...

Thanks!

Lady Hobbs
12-22-2006, 08:21 AM
I would medicate no fish unless they needed it. Just my opinion. They will settle down in a day or two. Best thing to do when adding new fish is turn the light off. They seem to adjust better when they can hide for awhile.

Cichlid_Man
12-22-2006, 11:26 AM
As I thought...
They actually look better already but I was just questioning the Pimafix. It is "supposed" to be all natural...

Almost done with this tank!

Fishguy2727
12-22-2006, 01:46 PM
I wouldn't really count Mellafix and Pima fix as meds as they are not some harsh chemical that can stress the fish or kill them if overdosed. They are all natural and in being so are much safer to use. I still would not go around dumping it in all my tanks, using it a lot can end up causing the pathogens to develop tolerances for it so I would still only use it when needed. If all seems well I would not use it.

jeffs99dime
12-22-2006, 02:51 PM
remember to remove carbon if you have it, that is

Cichlid_Man
12-22-2006, 07:11 PM
Thanks guys...
I don't use charcoal or carbon, but I think at this point I will just let the new fish be. They look 100% better right now.

They went through a lot. The store had just got them in, then I went and took them back out :-)

They are fine....

Lady Hobbs
12-22-2006, 07:46 PM
Sometimes I almost wonder if all their stress at once isn't better than stressing them, getting them calmed down and relaxed and their slime coat going then putting them thru it again. Never know.

kimmers318
12-23-2006, 02:50 AM
Pimafix and melafix are both recommended as being able to safely use when introducing new fish, but that is as a precautionary thing "in case" there is something wrong with them. Admittedly, most new fish owners don't know alot about diseases, or how to spot and then treat them, so I think that is why it is noted that it is safe to use on new additions. You did right in my opinion by not medicating as we all know you will observe and treat as needed :22: . I personally do use a nice healthy dose of stresscoat though which helps them feel better if there are any skin irritations, which in turn will make them stronger and better able to fight off any nasties they might encounter.