PDA

View Full Version : Whats wrong with my yellow lab?

greatXpectations
08-03-2008, 05:28 PM
His chin is getting fatter. Id think that hes holding, but hes the only one of his species. Ive had him in the tank for a while now, and im pretty sure hes a he. I could be wrong though.

The last couple days hes been sitting at the bottom of the tank, near the few plants i have, and away from any current. He gets up now and then and swims for a minute, but for the most part, he just sits there.

I hope hes not sick!

gm72
08-03-2008, 05:30 PM
Can you post a picture to help us?

Billythefish
08-03-2008, 05:38 PM
what do you feed it?

greatXpectations
08-03-2008, 05:51 PM
gunna do you one better...video coming up. He came out of his corner when i got the camera near the tank. He wouldn't flare his cheeks during the video but he does that alot, breathing pretty hard.

Everyone else in the tank is behaving 'normal'

Water parameters are perfect, around 8.0 PH, chiclid salt

Food consists of a combo. Flakes that i buy in bulk from my LFS, and NLS chiclid 1mm

I havent witnessed him eat for a few days

Video is slowly uploading to photobucket. ill post when its ready. Pay no attention to the floating stuff in the tank as they got fed a few minutes ago. Looks like i have to scrub the glass again! i do it once a week before water change.

greatXpectations
08-03-2008, 06:24 PM
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b16/greatxpectations/fishies/th_DSCF8472.jpg (http://s16.photobucket.com/albums/b16/greatxpectations/fishies/?action=view&current=DSCF8472.flv)

gm72
08-03-2008, 08:23 PM
Great video, but I'm sorry that I personally can't help you with this issue. One of our other more experienced cichlid members will be along to help you though.

kaybee
08-03-2008, 09:03 PM
That's a she and she's definately holding (indicated by a buccal cavity full of eggs).

It doesn't matter that she's the only yellow lab you have. They can breed with any other mbuna species (the odds of this occuring increases dramatically if members of the opposite sex of the species are absent).

Alternatively, and driven by instinct, female mbuna's can deposit and collect their own eggs without fertilization. In this case the eggs will 'go bad' within 3-4 days and be expelled or consumed. If she's holding beyond a week, you've got hybrid fry on the way.

greatXpectations
08-03-2008, 09:37 PM
wow, how cool is that?! I really thought she was holding, but i didn't think it was possible. I haven't got a clue who the daddy would be though. There 7 male peacocks...

there really isnt anywhere for fry to hide in this tank. should i even try to save them, knowing that they are hybrids? That is, assuming they arent just eggs?

Drip Loop
08-04-2008, 02:25 AM
Isnt that a male due to the dark black top fin? Could be wrong.

greatXpectations
08-04-2008, 03:15 AM
Isnt that a male due to the dark black top fin? Could be wrong.

That is the general rule of thumb, but not 100% accurate. Even my LFS, (the one i trust) said he wasnt sure about the sex of this fish because its young.

kaybee
08-04-2008, 10:21 AM
In most cases yellow labs of both genders will have black dorsal fin markings. There are instances when the markings may be absent, but that usually indicates an effort of it being line-bred out (unfortunately that can involve utilizing m. estherae to accomplish that goal).

Aside from venting them, yellow labs can be particularly challenging to 'gender' visually.

I wouldn't recommend making any efforts in saving the hybrid fry.

greatXpectations
08-07-2008, 01:30 AM
well, there arent any fry. shes eating again, but if its not eatin' time then she sits in the corner...im worried, but im hoping that shes just recovering