PDA

View Full Version : Leaves dying. Burnt? Deficiency? just old? eaten?...



PUNISHER VETTE
08-02-2008, 07:54 PM
My frogbit started off great and is still great in my 30g since i transferred it but in my 110g it looks as if it's dying from something.

I know i have a lot of lighting that sometimes gets hot but i've put a fan there now so that if that was the problem it should be solved.

I haven't fertilized in a few weeks to try and control the algae so maybe it's a deficiency i'm unaware of.

something could be eating it i guess. Or it might just be how these plants work but i kinda don't think so as this is a bit too extreme i'm afraid.


10012 This picture is of about 1/10 of the size of my plants but they all look like this. Except in my 30g it isn't nearly as bad. The ones i see are probably that way from when it was originally in the 110g and got transferred that way.

Evil Slimy
08-02-2008, 09:03 PM
Looks like potassium deficiency. IME the best way to control algae in a planted tank is to balance nutrients in the tank, rather than cutting them off. Since the other approaches have not worked, have you tried following EI dosing for a few weeks and see how things go?

smaug
08-02-2008, 10:59 PM
Floating plants with alot of light tend to get sunburnt it looks like a combo of that and as slimy mentiioned a fert deficiency.

PUNISHER VETTE
08-02-2008, 11:15 PM
I do have potassium i can fertilize so i'll do that just in case.

I just didn't want to use phosphorous or nitrates since those are what the algae supposedly grows on.

I'm hoping the air flow will allow it to say cooler under the lights but maybe it's just the intensity of the lights as well...

smaug
08-02-2008, 11:26 PM
This is a bit of a long shot but you mention airflow.If they werent used to that the leaves can get a bit parched from dehydration.I had that happen in my vivarium,I had a anubias coffee growing emersed and it did fine till I added a small exhaust fan,it shriveled it in less the 3 hours!

Evil Slimy
08-03-2008, 03:17 AM
I just didn't want to use phosphorous or nitrates since those are what the algae supposedly grows on.
It's definitely the case that too much of either for a sustained time will cause algae, but keep in mind that not enough of either will do the same. As far as planted tanks are concerned, the idea that nutrients cause algae has been discounted in the last few years and now it's accepted that it's nutrient imbalances that cause problems. As I mentioned elsewhere, in my 40g I had to scrape GSA off the front glass weekly. This stopped completely once I started dosing a bit more phosphates.

PUNISHER VETTE
09-01-2008, 04:05 PM
Hi...it's me again. The plants got better but are starting to do it again.

I just fertilized no more then a few days ago and i'm wondering if maybe there are too many fertilizers for the plants?

I haven't fertilized ANY in my 30g and 2.5g shrimp tanks that have the frogbit and they couldn't look better.

Could the nutrients be overloaded?

digital3
09-01-2008, 09:36 PM
Hi...it's me again. The plants got better but are starting to do it again.

I just fertilized no more then a few days ago and i'm wondering if maybe there are too many fertilizers for the plants?

I haven't fertilized ANY in my 30g and 2.5g shrimp tanks that have the frogbit and they couldn't look better.

Could the nutrients be overloaded?

You need to give your plants at least a couple of weeks before you make any assessment on your changes. Also, as was mentioned earlier, you don't want to deprive your plants of nutrients.

If your 110 has a greater light ratio than your 30 and your 2.5, than the plants will have a greater demand for Co2 and nutrients. If you have moderate to high light, and any of those two components (Co2 and Nutrients) are lacking, that will cause Algae. Many times high nutrients are blamed for algae, but that usually isn't the case. As a result, people start backing off on proper dosage and the plants suffer.

You need to ask yourself...

a) do I have moderate to high lighting (2+ wpg)?

if yes then...

b) am I providing at least 30 ppm of (Co2)?

if yes then...

b) am I dosing properly (Macros and Micros)?