PDA

View Full Version : Deep regret and sadness

smaug
08-02-2008, 01:42 PM
A few months ago we adopted a Maine coon,I have always wanted one and I was not disappointed by him at first.He became very aggressive with our existing cat and would not stop harassing and beating her up.We did everything we could to try and stop it but he wouldn't.Cinder our existing cat has started to pee indiscriminately and she has lost weight as well.Pooh,the coon has also been aggressive toward our 2 dogs and the more submissive of the 2 ,a husky has been taking the brunt if it.Last night he was attacked as we slept [twice] and last night is when the decision was made to give pooh back to the shelter.I am so upset,pooh is the most loving gentle cat and he gos out of his way to be petted and played with by us whereas the other cat and the husky are aloof and unfriendly toward us most of the time.I know it wouldn't be fair to remove the existing cat from the situation and I do NOT want to do this but I see no alternative and the die has been cast as I have emailed the agency already.I just wanted to share with you all.I'm gonna miss him.

fins_n_fur
08-02-2008, 01:59 PM
Very sorry to hear this...I hope he finds a nice home.

Lady Hobbs
08-02-2008, 02:15 PM
You did the only thing you can do. This is the home of your critters. If you bring a new critter home that makes their life miserable, then it has to go. Same if you just bought a new fish that tore into your others. Cinder probably was afraid to go to the litter box in fear of being attacked so peed where he could. Also trying to cover up the scent of the other?

You did the right thing.

GouramiGal
08-02-2008, 02:49 PM
Sorry Smaug. You feel bad, I can tell. But you did the right thing.

angelcakes
08-02-2008, 02:50 PM
youve done the right thing,no matter how sad it is,the pets you had before IMO should always come before the new pet, it is sad but maybe pooh will be located where there is no other pets and he gets all the attention and by the sounds of it will love,but i am sorry for the loss of having to give up pooh,:ssad:

nwnittany
08-02-2008, 02:55 PM
Smaug,

That's too bad. You gave it a shot and it just didn't work out. Any way you look at it, you did the right thing.

KrytterKrys
08-02-2008, 03:27 PM
i work at a shelter and this actually happens quite often, its sad but true. i have a maine coon mix myself and he's also quite dominant over my other two and even the dog when we had him. but he also is the best cat. maybe pooh can find a home where he can be the only kitty and have all the love to himself like he wants :)

ladyoutlaw50
08-02-2008, 06:35 PM
I am so sorry -- but I think you did the right thing by pooh and the others!! Pooh will get a 2nd chance and maybe find a home that he can be the owner of!!