PDA

View Full Version : Big job coming up with ?

Lady Hobbs
12-21-2006, 09:37 PM
Against my living room wall, I have a 30 gallon and beside that a 55 gallon. Next tank will be a 75 gallon with room for a tall angel tank next to that one. That's it. No more room on that wall.

However, I want the 75 to go where the 55 gallon is now. Which means, of course, having to do a bunch of shuffling around. I have to break the 55 down anyway because I have it too close to the wall to use the filter I have for it so guess it hardly matters if I do all this to move it an inch or move it 54 inches.

I will then have both tanks empty. I'm thinking I can just put all that I take from the 55 and put it in the 75 gallon including fish. I will have a set-back but how could it be any different than moving a tank across town and setting it back up? I will then add sand to the 55 and start a fishless cycling in this one.

Do you see any unforseen problems here?

Please come with buckets for water and coolers for the fish. Strong backs are needed here and I have one punie one. All volunteers list below. :ezpi_wink1:

I wish I could do all this in the time it took me to write this!

Slinky_Bass
12-21-2006, 09:48 PM
LOL, I've got a good strong back and I'd be more than willing to help, but I'm on the other side of the world :( Lucky you that you 're getting more tanks, and this means you get to keep your balas in the 75, right?
I've been told in no uncertain terms by my husband "no more tanks until we get a house" (we're still renting and we've already had to move my fish four times!). What are you planning on stocking the third one with?

Abbeys_Mom
12-21-2006, 10:26 PM
I'll help in spirit :)
When you're moving the tanks, I'll be yelling "GOOD HOBBS GO!" in my head to encourage you.

Nautilus291
12-21-2006, 10:31 PM
I am pretty close to you considering everyone else that have spoken but it would cost me about a hundred dollars or more for gas. And christmas is this weekend so im pretty sure i should say home. Maybe if you do it next weekend and pay for gas lol (you could buy a nice tank for that much).

Lady Hobbs
12-22-2006, 01:44 AM
I was kidding everyone!! Not about the tanks but about helping me move them. sheesh You guys are soooo serious.

Abbeys_Mom
12-22-2006, 02:06 AM
Serious? Who? What? Where? I'll report them to the funny police!

Lady Hobbs
12-22-2006, 02:10 AM
OK I don't want your help. Just send me your money then.

Nautilus291
12-22-2006, 02:19 AM
are you sure you know i am an 18 year old MAN. haha even though im only 5'8", weigh 130 pounds, my waist is only 28" around. But im sure i could help in some way.

jeffs99dime
12-22-2006, 02:34 AM
hobbs. you don't have to "tear down" you tank completely. i had the same problem when i first set my tank up. to get it away from the wall just empty about 75% of the water and you should be able to move one corner and then the other. just be very careful that you don't "twist" the stand under the aquarium. i take it your stand is made of wood on the 55?

Lady Hobbs
12-22-2006, 02:36 AM
Well, I am 5' 1" and weigh 118.

Wait until I have to clean a high tank. I've have to put on my string bikini.

Nautilus291
12-22-2006, 02:44 AM
lol well i guess i could be a little help then.

jeffs99dime
12-22-2006, 03:16 AM
Well, I am 5' 1" and weigh 118.

Wait until I have to clean a high tank. I've have to put on my string bikini.

anyone around to help you out at all?

Incredulous_Ed
12-22-2006, 03:48 AM
I was kidding everyone!! Not about the tanks but about helping me move them. sheesh You guys are soooo serious.

oh....
that explains alot.

I'm 6 feet so cleaning and moving tanks is no problemo. But maybe I shouldn't brag...

Lady Hobbs
12-22-2006, 03:51 AM
Jeff, I am small but I am mighty!

Nautilus291
12-22-2006, 04:01 AM
oh....
that explains alot.

I'm 6 feet so cleaning and moving tanks is no problemo. But maybe I shouldn't brag...

Must be nice. I dont mind being small but it makes it hard when you have to move stuff around and such. Lifting things is a pain becuase i have no weight behind me to help.

jeffs99dime
12-22-2006, 04:05 AM
Jeff, I am small but I am mighty!

i know it! that's why i said you could pull it off! lol

Lady Hobbs
12-22-2006, 08:35 AM
Well, not one of you answered my question. ppttfff ! Can I put all the stuff in my 75 gallon that was in my 55 without going thru a major mini-cycle? And Jeff, I'm not moving the tank one inch. I've moving it 54 inches.

jeffs99dime
12-22-2006, 03:05 PM
Well, not one of you answered my question. ppttfff ! Can I put all the stuff in my 75 gallon that was in my 55 without going thru a major mini-cycle? And Jeff, I'm not moving the tank one inch. I've moving it 54 inches.

yeah. you just have to take it an inch at a time.lol

Abbeys_Mom
12-22-2006, 04:11 PM
My guess would be no...But I have never done it.
When I think about the problems that would come up, I would imagine that even if you cleaning the gravel religiously, there will be stuff you missed....Under the ornaments, rocks etc. All that "stuff" would mess up the water chemistry. You can't wash the gravel, because then you are back to square one with the bacteria...I imagine you are going to have spikes either way.

Just thinking out loud, as I said, I could be wrong :)

f1oored
12-22-2006, 07:35 PM
Hobbs,
If you are moving everything into your 75 including filters, gravel, decorations, plants and everything, I don't see why it would ruin your cycle? As long as the new water is treated before you start moving things and as long as you don't let anything dry out you should be fine.

Lady Hobbs
12-22-2006, 07:40 PM
Thanks f1oored. I didn't really think so either. Gravel is covered with bacteria and so is everything else so I can see no huge problem.

I just added new gravel to my angelfish tank, put about an inch of old gravel on top and it was set-back for only a week. I had ammonia levels to .25 is all and never did get nitrites. This one will have no new gravel.

Thank you for posting.

jman
12-22-2006, 08:04 PM
it really isn't going to put any changes on your cycle i do it tall the time the changes that really matter is what kind of water gets put in the new tank. It's kind of self explanatory. The temp. my be the only difference because the tank itself doesn't make the changes.