PDA

View Full Version : Feeding Bettas

GouramiGal
08-02-2008, 02:19 AM
Hey everyone- seems like we have some betta gurus out there, so I thought I'd ask about feeding habits.

I got a new betta last week. I'm feeding it hikari bio pellets. The container says 3-4 pellets, twice a day. (Or something close to that.)

My betta clearly wants more. I'm afraid to overfeed.

Maybe you experts could make some comments on this? Thanks in advance!

kaoticice
08-02-2008, 06:28 AM
Bettas will always wants more!
The instructions are spot on. If you feel your bettas' tummy is a bit big, then you could reduce your feeding habit.

angelcakes
08-02-2008, 07:32 AM
i feed mine the same food and yes they want more as well.......but the instructions are correct and i normally follow them,always remember bettas can be pigs for food:hmm3grin2orange: but also in there diet you could also try frozen bloodworm which they love

jd6405
08-02-2008, 12:33 PM
My guy LOVES blood worms, but be careful not to feed them too often or he will become constipated!

GouramiGal
08-02-2008, 02:59 PM
Ok thanks everyone. I will be careful and follow the instructions. Betta might not be happy, but we definitely don't want him getting sick!

bettasandbeads
08-03-2008, 04:50 AM
I know how sad a Betta will look when he/she wants more food. They can be like little piglets.
You might want to get some frozen food from the local pet store. Try Mosquito larvae, Mysis shrimp or Brine shrimp. They came in small cubes that you can thaw and give a little at a time. I give my Bettas some as a treat once a week or so.
The best food I find is Atison's Betta Pro by Ocean Nutrition. You can't get it from the LFS but you can order it from the IBC ( International Betta Congress) or aquabid usually has some for sale.
Take care of your new Betta and you both will have many enjoyable hours watching each other.
Catherine
Just one More Betta

angelcakes
08-03-2008, 09:06 AM
another tip to keep your betta good is give a couple of peas a week to prevent any constipation:19:

GouramiGal
08-03-2008, 04:59 PM
Catherine- I have some Hikari freeze dried brine shrimp. Or do you recommend only frozen?

And angelcakes thanks. I always thought peas were just for when there were problems.

Nick_Pavlovski
08-05-2008, 08:50 AM
Perhaps reconstitute the freeze-dried brine shrimp for an hour or two before feeding? That's what I do with my freeze-dried blood worms.

bettasandbeads
08-05-2008, 09:16 AM
The food you have is fine. I just find my Bettas don't like freeze dryed food. If you find the frozen cubes are too big , just cut it 1/2 or 1/4 and put the rest back in the freezer.
I wouldn't regularly give my Bettas peas, unless I happen to over feed them. Like dump the food container in the tank:c3: If you don't see them poop for several days or they start to act funny and look like their starting to bloat a little.
You will get to know your Betta.
Good luck and send us a picture now and then.
Catherine

Just One More Betta:19:

Gemstone
08-05-2008, 12:13 PM
a good rule of thumb to remember is that a betta's tummy is the size of his eyeball..that is the amount of food he should eat. Peas are given when they are constipated..usually after eating tooooo much dried food...lol....and some freeze dried and frozen food is excellent...but remember the portion sizes...

graceluvsplatys
08-06-2008, 12:58 AM
I feed mine bettamin, frozen brine shrimp and freeze dried bloodworms

ehjsne
08-06-2008, 11:58 PM
A bettas natural instinct is to eat as much as they can. They always will eat what you give them. I feed My betta 3 pellets in the morning and arounf 6 pm i give him a 2 bloodworms. And on sunday i dont feed any of my fish. It lets the fish clean out thier systems.