PDA

View Full Version : Can tail rot be contained to one spot?

CalicoGypsy
08-02-2008, 12:53 AM
Hello,
I have a crown tail I love dearly and after coming home from work today I went to see him and noticed just a middle part of his tail wasn't as long as the rest. I inspected closer and it looks like it could either be ripped or tail rot but I'm not sure either way. The thing that throws me is that the rest of his tail and all his other fins are still long and full looking.

I recently took out his java fern to see how it would look in a new tank but I'm thinking I might be moving it back ASAP for him. Could he be upset or bored because it's missing?

Also, if it is tail rot what is the best thing to treat it with? I really want to keep him happy and healthy!

Thank you!

cocoa_pleco
08-02-2008, 12:56 AM
melafix and pimafix will take care of his fins, but what size tank/filtration/heating/water change schedule?

CalicoGypsy
08-02-2008, 01:31 AM
tank size is 2.5 with a whisper 3i filter.
I use a lamp on him and it keeps his water at about 76 and he gets a 20% water change every other week. His filters get changed monthly.

kaoticice
08-02-2008, 06:32 AM
If the rip continued to grow then you can assume its a finrot.

Melafix & pimafix will help the recovery. If in any case the rot continued then stronger meds needs to be used for treatment, ie: tri-sulfa, tetracycline, myxzin (cant spell that one).

ehjsne
08-07-2008, 07:26 PM
Well it could be a rip or fin rot. Do you have anything that could rip a bettas tail?

I would go ahead and treat it with melefix or pimafix to prevent or treat fin rot.

And of course dont forget to take out the filter cartridge.

fins_n_fur
08-07-2008, 07:29 PM
Once the issue is solved, you may want to consider weekly water changes instead of bi-weekly ones. Not much of an effort nor time for a 2.5 g tank.