PDA

View Full Version : Nipped fins..

jd6405
08-01-2008, 09:47 PM
My poor betta has nipped fins. He was a veil, but now they are short of stubby. My poor poor baby. I have a nice new 5 gal tank ordered for him to get him out my community. Do their fins go back or is he destined for short fins forever? If so will this effect him at all?

KingFisher
08-01-2008, 10:22 PM
As long as his fins were not nipped too close to the base, they should grow back fine with good clean water conditions and good food. Keep an eye out for any signs of finrot or fungus and medicate immediately if you see any. Fish have amazing healing capabilities as long as the water is very clean.

graceluvsplatys
08-01-2008, 11:17 PM
sorry, but why did ya keep him in acommunity for long enough to stubbify his tail? that couldn of happened over night.
yes, if you have a clean large bowl or jar to tide him over, as long as you have a warm spot and do water changes, he will be fine untill ya get the tank.
props for getting the big tank, btw!

Pearl Trade
08-01-2008, 11:20 PM
they will grow back in time. maybe you could try a medicine like Melafix to heal him quicker.

kaoticice
08-01-2008, 11:27 PM
It depends how badly ripped his fins are. From my experience all of my males have never recovered perfectly from any fin damage before. Short fin males or females will easily recover in a couple of days, not the same case as the longer ones though.
IMO having a short fin would impacted him positively. He would be able to move more freely without those huge silky tail sticking to his back.

bettasandbeads
08-01-2008, 11:37 PM
His tail should grown back if you don't run into any fin rot. You will find it starts growing back as a colourless web and then slowly regains it's colour. However you may find that the tail isn't quite the same colour as before.
Any time a Bettas tail or fins are damaged they will grown back slightly different in colour and shape. They seem to revert back to the colour of their parents or grandparents. Colour genes in Bettas are complicated.
Catherine

If you are interested in teh colour genetics of Bettas. Check out www.ibcbetta.com (International Betta Congress)

Jacko
08-02-2008, 12:11 AM
they will grow back in time. maybe you could try a medicine like Melafix to heal him quicker.
Umm... I wouldn't recomend the use of melafix or pimafix or even bettafix with bettas. It contains a chemical (clove oil I'm pretty sure) that is alot more harsh on bettas and gouramies than other fish. If anything, I'd use salt, it can work wonders with bettas.

kaoticice
08-02-2008, 06:35 AM
His tail should grown back if you don't run into any fin rot. You will find it starts growing back as a colourless web and then slowly regains it's colour. However you may find that the tail isn't quite the same colour as before.
Any time a Bettas tail or fins are damaged they will grown back slightly different in colour and shape. They seem to revert back to the colour of their parents or grandparents. Colour genes in Bettas are complicated.
Catherine

If you are interested in teh colour genetics of Bettas. Check out www.ibcbetta.com (International Betta Congress)
I never know that.. I do realize that the shape does change, I have a HM that looks like a HMPK after a rot-case and never healed since then. I'm surprised that the color actually changed to older strain. Never knew that one!
thankx for the info

LosC
08-02-2008, 06:55 AM
Regular water changes is key. Stress coat helps.

jd6405
08-02-2008, 12:13 PM
Umm... I wouldn't recomend the use of melafix or pimafix or even bettafix with bettas. It contains a chemical (clove oil I'm pretty sure) that is alot more harsh on bettas and gouramies than other fish. If anything, I'd use salt, it can work wonders with bettas.

Salt? Like isntant ocean? How much in a 5 gallon and for how long?

Lady Hobbs
08-02-2008, 03:30 PM
Nipped fins or fin rot? The can look very much the same.

Someone here was having a bad time clearing up the fin rot on a fish and I mentioned Jungle Lab Fungus Cure. They claimed it worked great. My blood parrots right now have a bit of raggy fins and I am about to try it on them.

PS......Caused from too crowded tanks and poor water quality. Generally will correct itself with clean water.

jd6405
08-02-2008, 07:38 PM
Nipped fins or fin rot? The can look very much the same.

Someone here was having a bad time clearing up the fin rot on a fish and I mentioned Jungle Lab Fungus Cure. They claimed it worked great. My blood parrots right now have a bit of raggy fins and I am about to try it on them.

PS......Caused from too crowded tanks and poor water quality. Generally will correct itself with clean water.

How can you tell the difference??? I know my tank is not over crowded so know that is not the issue. I am pretty sure it is nipped fins since I have seen my gouramis chasing him around.

rikesh
08-02-2008, 07:49 PM
don't worry about that. put your betta in some melafix to prevent fin rot and it will recover quickly. If you are sceptic about using melafix, use the "traditional" methos of adding rock salt to its water.

jd6405
08-02-2008, 09:49 PM
don't worry about that. put your betta in some melafix to prevent fin rot and it will recover quickly. If you are sceptic about using melafix, use the "traditional" methos of adding rock salt to its water.

How much rock salt do I add??? (5 gallon tank)

cathy_n
08-03-2008, 01:25 AM
How much rock salt do I add??? (5 gallon tank)

I've kept my betta in anything from 1/4 teaspoon per gallon to 1 teaspoon per gallon salt. They're very flexible provided you don't go from zero salt to a lot of salt all at once. If you have live plants or snails in the tank, go with a lower dose. My apple snail and Java ferns seem to be weathering 1/4 teaspoon per gallon pretty well.

Slowly increase the salt (say 1/4 teaspoon per gallon per day) until it's the level you want. Be sure the salt is fully mixed with water before adding it to the aquarium. I don't know what it would do to a betta to contact a big rock of salt, but I can't imagine it would be totally harmless. If you replace water due to evaporation, remember to use plain treated water because the salt doesn't evaporate along with the water.

My veiltail betta has managed to thoroughly shred his own fins a couple times on sharp edges I didn't realize were sharp. He generally healed completely within a couple weeks, and I used salt in his tank to try to reduce the chance of secondary infection. A little salt in his water probably won't hurt and might help him heal without incident. You can use freshwater aquarium salt or non-iodized sea salt from the grocery store. I've read you should not use marine salt, though I am not sure why.

I'm glad you'll be moving him out of the community tank if you think he's getting nipped. I'm sure he'll think he's the king of the world in a huge 5 gallon tank!

Good luck to you!

jd6405
08-03-2008, 01:36 AM
I've kept my betta in anything from 1/4 teaspoon per gallon to 1 teaspoon per gallon salt. They're very flexible provided you don't go from zero salt to a lot of salt all at once. If you have live plants or snails in the tank, go with a lower dose. My apple snail and Java ferns seem to be weathering 1/4 teaspoon per gallon pretty well.

Slowly increase the salt (say 1/4 teaspoon per gallon per day) until it's the level you want. Be sure the salt is fully mixed with water before adding it to the aquarium. I don't know what it would do to a betta to contact a big rock of salt, but I can't imagine it would be totally harmless. If you replace water due to evaporation, remember to use plain treated water because the salt doesn't evaporate along with the water.

My veiltail betta has managed to thoroughly shred his own fins a couple times on sharp edges I didn't realize were sharp. He generally healed completely within a couple weeks, and I used salt in his tank to try to reduce the chance of secondary infection. A little salt in his water probably won't hurt and might help him heal without incident. You can use freshwater aquarium salt or non-iodized sea salt from the grocery store. I've read you should not use marine salt, though I am not sure why.

I'm glad you'll be moving him out of the community tank if you think he's getting nipped. I'm sure he'll think he's the king of the world in a huge 5 gallon tank!

Good luck to you!

Thanks for the info! Yes I am anxious to move him to the 5. He will be living in my daughters bedroom. She just loves the fish in the 30 gallon.

Is fin rot catchy? If that is what he has can my other fish get it too?

ehjsne
08-07-2008, 07:30 PM
The fins should grow back. You should treat them to prevent any annoying diseases.