PDA

View Full Version : mantis shrimp

cocoa_pleco
08-01-2008, 05:43 AM
I know a guy on another forum who actually has a mantis in a 15g nanocube loaded with corals. everything works out fine. Big als here has mantis's for $15. i know they are tank busters and everything, but are they safe with any fish, and are the odds high they will crack a tank with 3/4 inch glass?

EDIT- for some reason i cant delete the thread, never mind. i read about a guy who had one and he got his thumb cut off, and a few weeks later it happened again. not worth losing my hand over a mantis

unleashed
08-01-2008, 07:37 AM
it depends on the species of the mantis.

Some stay really small while other get massive. Eg, there is an atlantic species which gets 50+cm

Again, the level of risk to your live stock and tank glass is totally dependant on the species. Also, 'spearers' will not smash glass, only 'smashers' will do that

dgoulston
08-01-2008, 10:02 AM
from what i have read only a really large on can smash glass, and even then iit has to be very thin glass.. most of the time they will not do any damage to your finger other than making it sting quite a lot.

unleashed
08-01-2008, 11:14 AM
from what i have read only a really large on can smash glass, and even then iit has to be very thin glass.. most of the time they will not do any damage to your finger other than making it sting quite a lot.

Some have been known (and recorded) to break 1/2 inch glass. Also, they do not need to be massive to hurt you. A mantis about 10-15cm can do serious damage to a hand. Even a small one can split you to the bone.

Usually, a 'smashing' mantis at about 10cm has the potential to break glass

Pamela_S.
08-01-2008, 01:48 PM
Wow!! So I was curious as to what these guys are and looked them up, they are kind of crazy!! Very beautiful and interesting, but so weird that they can do that much damage with their claws!!

cocoa_pleco
08-01-2008, 04:25 PM
they had a few kinds of mantis from $15-$60, maybe they have spearers

unleashed
08-01-2008, 08:42 PM
they had a few kinds of mantis from $15-$60, maybe they have spearers

Ask then to catch one and have a look at is appendages with a long and thin object.

Spearers generally have many sharp spike pointing backwards on their appendages

And bear in mind, spearers cannot take hard bodied animals like crabs and snails. They can take soft bodied shrimps though

gem
08-04-2008, 03:11 AM
I keep a Mantis in a 24 gal nano. Yes, smashers can crack glass and injure you. Mine has NEVER even smacked the glass. Just crabs, snails, and her rock. I have a G. Chiragra which is a smasher. As far as what they can do to your finger??? Yes, they can split it to the bone if you're stupid enough to mess with it. Feed it every couple days using tongs and you won't have to worry about this. When cleaning the tank, use tools not your hand! Stupidity is why these things injure people. Spearers, can slice you pretty good and will eat fish. I keep a fish in with my Chiragra, but there's no guarantee a smasher won't eat fish as well. I keep mine well fed on Krill, snails, crabs, and silversides and she doesn't bother with the fish. They're very interesting creatures, but hide quite a bit. So, if you get one,don't expect to see it alot.
Caution and common sense need to be used when keeping alot of the creatures. Did you know a Zoanthid can poison as well as blind you? A foxface butterfly fish has a venemous dorsal spine? An urchin can cause a nasty stingy rash with a spine? Use your head when dealing with livestock....it's that simple and makes them a whole lot less dangerous. :c12: