PDA

View Full Version : cleaner shrimp and anemone

snapdragon9
08-01-2008, 03:11 AM
I have noted that my two cleaner shrimp are seemingly performing a cleaning service on my bubble tip. I wouldn't suppose that cleaner shrimp can actually damage coral, although I know they may take a sample taste of various corals. Just wondering if the cleaning duty is something that normally takes place with anemones.

ILuvMyGoldBarb
08-01-2008, 03:31 AM
This isn't actually all that unusual for Skunk Cleaners. Skunk cleaners are not a problem with this, there are some shrimp, though, that are a problem for anemones, they like to get at the flesh inside the foot on some Anemones.

snapdragon9
08-02-2008, 02:00 PM
I also have a couple peppermint shrimp who mostly graze on aptasia...but with these become a problem? A couple I saw in a friends tank looked like they were doing more than a little cleaning...is this behavior typical of peppermeints?

ILuvMyGoldBarb
08-02-2008, 03:18 PM
There are 2 or 3 species that are sold as Peppermint shrimp, on is reef safe and the others are not. The others do tend to pick at corals and anemones. Unfortunately most LFS don't know the difference between them either. If you plan to purchase Peppermint Shrimp I'd recommend getting yourself familiar with the right kind so you know what to look for.