PDA

View Full Version : Will shrimp be okay In my tank?

Ty
08-01-2008, 02:00 AM
I had some ghost shrimp in my tank before, but I think that my goldfish made quick work of them.

but now I have the goldies in their own tank, so I want to try shrimp once again.

The fish that are in the tank are 17 glowlite tetras, 2 black skirt tetras, one red eye tetra, 6 cories, and one small pleco.

Im thinking of getting about 10 or so ghost shrimp, then maybe some cherry shrimp if the others make it.

ideas or comments?

richberstler
08-01-2008, 02:35 AM
Check out my sig, you'll see what has worked with me. The cherry babies will get eaten, but if you have enough plants some will grow keeping the population plenty healthy.

For plants I suggest something like java moss or hornwort (my hornwort grows like weed in my store bought lighting, so it is a simple solution)

Ghost and Amano love when I have driftwood in there with them. Downside to these is they need brackish water for the young.

One other comment, make sure they get their calcium. Shrimp pellets and their old shells seem to be ok (along with frozen treats), but I also add calcium once in awhile due to the snails I like to keep.

Happy shrimpin'

Pamela_S.
08-01-2008, 02:51 AM
I'm sorry, I don't want to steal the thread, but how do you add calcium to benefit your shrimp? And what type do you use?

richberstler
08-01-2008, 03:32 AM
I'm sorry, I don't want to steal the thread, but how do you add calcium to benefit your shrimp? And what type do you use?

Normally I don't think shrimp need it since they will eat their own exoskeletons. Shrimp pellets along with other types of sinking food are also good.

I had a problem with my snails turning white, so I ended up getting a bottle of Seachem Reef complete based on another member's suggestion. The reef stuff is for saltwater corals, but can also suppliment if you have a serious issue with inverts.

richberstler
08-01-2008, 03:38 AM
I had a problem with my snails turning white,

Oh I forgot to mention, before you freak out... shrimp turn white when malting, so don't mistake that with any calcium problem. If you think you need calcium, research your invert's health before going that extra step. I had maybe 100 snails at the time I had issues.

Pamela_S.
08-01-2008, 03:44 AM
Ohhh.... I overlooked the part where you said for the snails, although I have mystery snails also. I don't seem to be having any problems with them or my ghosts , just was wondering if that was something I should be doing to keep them healthier. I will keep that in mind should I have a similar case down the road though!

To the OP..... Sorry again about the hijack of the thread (but thank you richberstler for the answer!!!). I wish I could help you out with your question, but not experienced with some of the fish that you mentioned. Currently I only have ghost shrimp in with my platy fry as a clean up crew!! Would love to have some RCS someday, but seeing how well it goes with the ghosts myself!!