PDA

View Full Version : Feeding Betta Fry?

ehjsne
08-01-2008, 12:07 AM
Ok I am planing on breeding bettas very soon. I have mostly everything. All I need is a brine shrimp hatchery and the eggs.

So How many grams or ounces of eggs would i need to raise a spawn of betta fry???

Tolley
08-01-2008, 12:13 AM
It would be hard to say as it is dependent on how many babies you get and your feeding scedule.

BBS eggs here are about the same price anywhere from 1g-100g i would go with say 50gg which will be more than enough then your sorted for life.

Jacko
08-01-2008, 01:01 AM
I'd say go for the biggest you can, even if you don't use it all for your betta babies, you can hatch it later and grow it out a bit more and then feed that as a live treat for your fish. It's always nice to be able to have fresh live food available.

I wouldn't just feed betta fry BBS, I would also make sure there are lots of rotifers in the tank, add some java moss and that should give you plenty to grow on.

ehjsne
08-04-2008, 12:53 AM
Wont the eggs eventually not hatch or go bad or something? I know im supposed to keep them in an airtight container and in the fridge.

Jacko
08-04-2008, 05:52 AM
Eventually yes, there should be an expiration date on the container, there has always been one on the containers I used.

ehjsne
08-04-2008, 02:57 PM
Do you know how long that is? Like a few months? A year?

jules
08-07-2008, 02:05 AM
If you store them well, they can last many years

ehjsne
08-07-2008, 06:39 PM
now how do i store them well?

Blue Guppy
09-12-2008, 05:52 PM
I have a question about raising and feeding the newly hatched frys. My pair spawned a few weeks ago and had around 40 to 50 frys. After separating the male from the free swimming frys, I had the breeding lit 24 hours a day since the pair spawned and have produced a fair amount of algae. Will these be a good source of first food for the frys? Because after a few weeks, their number lessened. I also tried putting a gentle stream of air into the tank understanding that the frys have not developed the labyrinth type that their parents have.

Right now I am down to 10 frys that are about 1/2" in size and feed on microworms. would this stage be considered "safe" and would they eventually grow up to adult?

Need advice as my female is full of eggs again and planning to spawn them anytime soon. Thanks.