PDA

View Full Version : Sea Lice I think..advice needed

Fish4Fun
07-31-2008, 09:14 AM
Gday fellow insomniac coral watchers. I have what appears to be a few Sea Lice in my tank. There Silver in colour and look like a large flea. I noticed them eating some algea off the outlet mesh, ( not a bad thing) Im just concerned if they will damage my reef inhabitants, And how do you get them out without draining the tank, ( if you need to get them out. ??.) any suggestions good people??.:help:

unleashed
07-31-2008, 09:44 AM
I assume these are amphipods. They are very healthy for you tank and will reproduce rapidly (assuming you have few predators). They help keep the tank clean.

You most likely also have copepods (much smaller than above). These are also highly beneficial

Fish4Fun
07-31-2008, 10:00 AM
Thanx Unleashed, I was a bit concerned. I have spent the last 4 weeks setting up and learning do and donts and what coral likes where. I would really hate to have to pull it apart before I needed to. As this is only a tempory tank ( bigger one going inside house not in garage) I am happy to let anything breed in there within reason. Will my Black Comet tail ( black groper) eat these.

cocoa_pleco
07-31-2008, 03:41 PM
yep, probably amphipods. ive got thousands in my 55g, free snacks for my wrasse