PDA

View Full Version : What can I do with 40 gallons?

gunk
07-31-2008, 01:39 AM
I've got a 40g breeder that will be empty soon. I love the look of Apistogrammas and I'd like to stock my tank with them. How many can I keep in there comfortably? And will I need to have females or can I do an all-male tank? If I do have females, will adults eat the babies or will I have to find something to do with them?

kaoticice
07-31-2008, 02:22 AM
It kinda depends what you want. Are you planning to set the tank up for breeding purposes or just for display sake? For breeding you probably can get away with keeping 2 trio's of different/same apistogramma species. They're very good at rearing the fry and i doubt any fish will be aloud to close in their frys :c12:. If you're not intending to breed it, it's best to go for males only (keeping a few females are ok). I'm not sure on how much apistogramma you can keep in the tank. Just a wild guess, probably 8-10 males.

LosC
07-31-2008, 06:01 AM
What's your filtration?

gunk
07-31-2008, 11:01 PM
I have a HOB that's rated for like 60 gallons or so. Nothing amazing. But the tank is planted so I guess that counts for something. I can't afford a new canister filter but I've been keeping an eye out on craigslist for something cheap. Not much luck so far.

gunk
08-03-2008, 02:03 PM
Could anyone else offer me any other suggestions?

country_boy454
08-03-2008, 04:08 PM
If you keep all males there will be aggression in the tank. Most of the males won't color up as they will be the less dominant ones of the group. If you want to keep aggression down I'd say 2-3 trios of either the same or different species of apistos depending on how heavy the planting is in your tank.

I am working on restocking my apisto tank. It is a 55g and I am going for a trio of A. Cacatuoides Orange Flash, a trio of A. Cacatuoides Triple Red, and a trio of either Apistogramma bittaeniata (apistodave on aquabid for pics) or a trio of Apistogramma Red Tail East (apistodave on aquabid for pics) or a trio of Apistogramma agassizii double red from twofishguyz.com. My tank will be heavily planted as I have about 40 stems of cabomba + about 20 other plants coming in the mail for the tank.