PDA

View Full Version : Attacked by a betta..

Gemstone
07-30-2008, 11:31 AM
Ha!!...Sooo...being a good fish keeper I do the water change and gravel vac thing etc once a week...now having so many tanks...one tends to skimp here and there...(wrong of me I know...but really!!!)...

The tank in which ROdriguez and his lady love are at present, is actually overstocked and will have to stay that way till THE MOVE...Rodriguez is the betta we bought (unplanned I might add) because he was looking really down and out an ill in his cup at the pet shop....and has since become a beautiful specimen...and really full of himself...even attacking the hubby...

Now..to get to the storey...I decided to gravel vac this particular tank...and ROdriguez...being in a largish breeding net...took up too much space..

I cought him in a cup and plonked him into a container where he had to stay for the duration of the cleanup...an d then he was promptly put back into his net... (his lady love was in the tank with the rest of the fish during this period and besides herself with worry...this was indicated by the fact that she had turned a sickly greyish colour...which promptly went back to cherry red when her love was reunited with her in the tank)...

To reward all the fishies in the tank for suffering in silence and allowing me to invade and springclean their home, I gave them a jolly good feed....AND RODRIGUEZ JUMPED OUT OF THE WATER AND SNAPPED AT ME!!!!

He snapped...I tell you...snapped!!! If he was a big fish he would have had a chunk outta me...and this from a betta who normally eats right outta my hand!!!

Goes to show...you are welcome to visite...anytime, especially when you are bringing the food.....but dont ever outstay your welcome!!!!:c4:

cathy_n
07-30-2008, 02:30 PM
Haha, that's a game my betta and I also play. He likes to feel like he is hunting flies on the top of the water, so I will hover my finger over the water and he will jump up and try to get the "fly" (my finger).

Then I give him a blood worm and he probably thinks he is the best hunter in the whole world!

Your fish must also want to feel like a great hunter. :)

bettasandbeads
07-30-2008, 03:28 PM
What people forget is that Bettas like to Jump. In the natural enviorment they usually have to jump to get bugs. I have several girls who love to jump for their food. It makes them feel that they get it first.
Just be carefull to put the lid back on the tank after feeding, I have lost several becease they have jumped out of the tank.
Bettas are great though aren't they.
They each have their own personality.
Catherine

angelcakes
07-30-2008, 05:06 PM
i have jumping bettas to........i also hover my finger over the top and watch them go, at least the bite dont hurt:hmm3grin2orange:

ladyoutlaw50
07-30-2008, 05:43 PM
That is too funny that you mention that -- just last night when the bf was feeding all his bettas -- the newest one jumped right up and tried to get at the food in his hand!! I heard him scream!! way too funny -- we laughed for a good half hour!! LOL :hmm3grin2orange:

kaoticice
07-31-2008, 02:30 AM
Lol.. bettas are very eager eaters arent they? :19:

@angelcakes, If you've ever got bitten by a real fighter plakat betta you won't be very happy =D. I had a bit of my index finger skin ripped and bleed with just one bite from a champion fighter :hmm3grin2orange:

Ryuu
07-31-2008, 03:55 AM
Lol, kind of liek the saying, fish start to smell after a few days. Aka Dont overstay your welcome lol

funnyfish
07-31-2008, 03:55 AM
wow Gem I guess you know for next time you are allowed to feed but not to hang out.... LOL They are so funny. I guess if he was much bigger it might not have been funny but him being small its a little funny.

Boertjie
07-31-2008, 05:08 AM
I wonder what would happen if you cross the Betta with a piranha....:hmm3grin2orange:

Gemstone
07-31-2008, 05:45 AM
I wonder what would happen if you cross the Betta with a piranha....:hmm3grin2orange:

sooooo *raises left eyebrow...* we are NOT going to be doing ANY crossbreeding....are we.........

Boertjie
07-31-2008, 05:59 AM
:l13: No No no:hmm3grin2orange:

Gemstone
07-31-2008, 06:01 AM
hmmmm...I'm watching you...like a hawk....DON'T u 4get that...

ehjsne
08-11-2008, 03:31 PM
attacked? Seems odd....

Ive never had a betta even jump. ive kept them in uncovered bowls and tank. Ive even tried to get them to jump by dangling food above them...
Even while in a net while transfering them from tank to tank none of fish even flop. Its soo wierd.