PDA

View Full Version : Hello

tigger1
07-29-2008, 11:31 PM
Hi guys, hopefully this section is still frequented.

I am restarting my 55gal freshwater aquarium and with all the sites and such I just recently found out about killies. My original plan was to put in about 6-10 neons, 4-6 longfin dino's, 2 angel fish, 4-8 of these fish called Starfire Glofish, and a male beta. This is not a planted tank.. just some silk plants and some rock formations.

Do you all think a killifish would work in this combination? I really like the bright colorful ones (most likely the hardest to keep and short lived) If so how many could I put into the tank (pref males since they have the best colors).

Thanks for whatever help i can get.

Tigger1

troy
07-30-2008, 04:34 AM
Do you have any idea of what species it is?

Gemstone
07-30-2008, 04:52 AM
welcome to the ac....I'm pretty sure someone will be able to help u out soon...

Mvjnz
07-30-2008, 06:55 AM
You'd need to pick a species for us to be able to tell. A lot of killies are best kept in a species tank, or they can be aggressive and nip at fins. Good news is a lot of them only need very small tanks, so you could get a really cheap full setup, they only need about 20 litres (a lot of them anyway, not all of them) and keep them seperate.

And btw, angels don't go well with neons or other small fish. Might be fine when they are young, but as they grow bigger they will most likely eat the neons. And the killies too.

angelcakes
07-30-2008, 07:07 AM
hello and welcome:19: :19:

tigger1
07-30-2008, 10:27 PM
I guess I'm looking towards the african non-annuals.

Aphyosemion :

boehmi, australe gold-chocolate, bualanum N'tui, fulgens, gabunense marginatum, rectogense, sp.oyo

I like the colors and the fin shape/lengths.

Ive always had angels with neons and such. Most of the time the angels start out young and grow with the tank. Ive never had them in such a big tank before tho so that might make a difference.

I've seen the golden wonders at my lfs and they are ok but not what i was really looking for.

Thanks for the warm welcome :) and the help

sandy_n
07-31-2008, 03:57 PM
I really don't know enough about killies, but I would like to welcome you to AC.

jules
08-01-2008, 06:53 PM
I guess I'm looking towards the african non-annuals.

Aphyosemion :

boehmi, australe gold-chocolate, bualanum N'tui, fulgens, gabunense marginatum, rectogense, sp.oyo

I agree, loose the angels (replace with pelvicachromis taeniatus or apistos). Other than the australe, you probably won't find the others easily. Aphyosemion striatum (http://www.killi.co.uk/speciesProfile/Aphyosemion/striatum/) will fit your bill. Maybe as eggs. best to stick to the Fundulopanchax (http://www.killi.co.uk/fundulopanchax), as these are a bit larger than Aphosemions, just as colourful, but generally a bit tougher too, less shy, less fussy about food, less expensive and just as nice.

Go for some scheeli, gardneri, amieti, sjoestedti or nigerianus (they may even be sold as Aphyosemion gardneri, which is technically incorrect)

Let us know what happens

tigger1
08-01-2008, 09:43 PM
Thank you Jules ill check it out. Still have time on the cycling.

Thanks sandy_n for the welcome also :)

Tigger1

tigger1
08-01-2008, 10:09 PM
Damn can't edit. Ok, how many do you think i can get for the tank? do i have to do say 2 males and 3-4 females? I'd rather do without the females if i can. I bread Angels and don't think i want to get that detailed again heheeh ;p Can i mix them if i keep them within the same species?

jules
08-03-2008, 12:17 AM
do i have to do say 2 males and 3-4 females? I'd rather do without the females if i can.

No, you don't need females at all. Those are good ratios for breeding (you'll get lots of eggs) but you can keep a tank of males in a spacious 55.