PDA

View Full Version : Store fish delivery

Lady Hobbs
12-20-2006, 04:50 PM
I was at the store last night when the fish man come with his delivery. Now, this is a store not much different than WalMart but with much higher standards. Tanks are clean and fish look good (since I complained to cooperate office about them.) That story comes further down.

But the way these fish are delivered you wonder how any survive. They come in huge trash bags just loaded with fish. Maybe 30-50 to a bag. Now I know why I see nipped fins, ragged fins and stressed fish.

About my complaint: I was wandering around this same store getting fish supplies about 6 months ago and noticed the tanks were really going downhill. Following week went back and even worse conditions. I emailed cooperate office about how crummy these fish were kept and immediately got a phone call from them. Tanks were all cleaned up that week and have remained cleaned since.

Then.........complained to cooperate office at WalMart. Nothing. Zip. Natta. They could care less. WalMart needs 20 lashes for keeping fish in the conditions they keep them in. When they walk past those aquariums and see 10 dead fish in a tank you'd think they could at least remove them instead of allowing them to rot in the tanks.

YES. I complain when I see a dog tied up to a 5 foot chain with no food or water, too. What can I say? Animals and fish don't deserve to get what they get from humans.

jeffs99dime
12-20-2006, 05:14 PM
excellent point hobbs! animal cruelty ticks me off to no end!

crackatinny
12-20-2006, 10:22 PM
People who treat animals in that way deserve the same to happen to them, it is unacceptable.

Talking of fish deliverys, our local pet store was expecting a delivery the other day, so me and the wife went down to see what they got, it ended up that only half the delivery got there, the other half turned up the following day (after being lost in the post), half of them where dead.

Neithan
12-20-2006, 10:31 PM
o.O

Fish deliveries to stores here are done in large styrofoam boxes, with each species in its own plastic bag. Maybe you should see if you can find out whoever they get their fish from and complain directly to them about the conditions they ship their fish in?

crackatinny
12-20-2006, 10:38 PM
o.O

Fish deliveries to stores here are done in large styrofoam boxes, with each species in its own plastic bag. Maybe you should see if you can find out whoever they get their fish from and complain directly to them about the conditions they ship their fish in?

Transport here in Aus is done in this same way

Lady Hobbs
12-20-2006, 11:15 PM
These come in styrofoam boxes as well but those huge bags of fish were inside in trash bags. They were also sorted out but still, sooo many in each bag.

jman
12-20-2006, 11:45 PM
I have a walmart near by that just got rid of the fish, i guess because it was a serious lost especially when the workers don't care.

Lady Hobbs
12-20-2006, 11:50 PM
Well, when you run a store on either people too disabled to hardly walk or hire school kids who don't give a darned and know nothing about fish........? They get what they pay for. They have the same people run the nursery here that run the fish section of the store. Nursery is busy in the summer and the fish aren't yelling so ....guess who gets ignored?

jman
12-20-2006, 11:54 PM
sometimes the whole fish keeper thing makes me so upset because you can find some really nice fish but then you have a employer who just can't catch a fish that is already too sick to swim away. lol

Lady Hobbs
12-20-2006, 11:58 PM
LOLOL That was really funny. I've wondered on occassion if their nets didn't have holes in them.

I have two long finned danio's and wanted a dozen of them. Lady was sweating like she'd been jogging about a year, scooping, scooping for forever and could not catch any more so after 20 minutes of this I told her to forget it. I still want more!

jman
12-21-2006, 12:01 AM
forget it? lol my stepfather couldn't wait and took it and got the fish himself.

holbritter
12-22-2006, 10:33 AM
The fish at the Petsmart near me is almost as bad as Walmart! I was surprised when I went in there.

I'm lucky that I have a great aquarium place not too far. Their tanks are crystal clear, and they have the most awesome marine fish! I went in there and tested them, like someone suggested, and they passed with flying colors. I told them I wanted to add "that pretty fish" (an oscar) to my tank. I'm pretty sure she would have refused to sell it to me if she had the chance! She was getting pretty worked up about why it wasn't the right thing to do, that I just said ok.

They are a little more expensive, but worth it.

Nautilus291
12-22-2006, 11:31 AM
thats kind of wierd for an employee to do. Anyways the problem with stores like petco and pet smart, and also the walmarts is that they are just average human beings. Can you really blame them for what they do. Ya we love fish and we all hate to see them like that, but to them its just there job that they have to go to. Except for a few people most of them are just there to make money. They dont care how there company does or how there fish are doing. They are there to put in there time and leave.

Also the one walmart by me keeps pretty good care of there fish. there usually arnt any dead fish maybe in the feeder fish tank. but the other one was horrible. They had 2 tanks down because if ich and it was really bad. Im pretty sure all of those fish died. They where completely covered.

jman
12-22-2006, 07:22 PM
thats kind of wierd for an employee to do. Anyways the problem with stores like petco and pet smart, and also the walmarts is that they are just average human beings. Can you really blame them for what they do. Ya we love fish and we all hate to see them like that, but to them its just there job that they have to go to. Except for a few people most of them are just there to make money. They dont care how there company does or how there fish are doing. They are there to put in there time and leave.

Also the one walmart by me keeps pretty good care of there fish. there usually arnt any dead fish maybe in the feeder fish tank. but the other one was horrible. They had 2 tanks down because if ich and it was really bad. Im pretty sure all of those fish died. They where completely covered.

Walmarts are different they have a 'Base' for all walmarts that shows what goes through each cashregister and a screen for everything that goes in and comes out. they get to see first hand so it makes me wonder how they dont know maybe there are lots of people buying the fish out the store and the profit they are looking for is met.

jeffs99dime
12-22-2006, 08:45 PM
walmart, petsmart, petco, ect are not good for buying fish or any other animals for that matter! it's a corporation- the devil essentially. i will never buy "stock" from them--jeff

Lady Hobbs
12-22-2006, 09:13 PM
The problem for so many is no LFS near them. Sending online for them is good but you have to have your tank set up to accomodate a large number all at once (or various tanks). You sure can't order 4 at a time to justify the shipping charges unless they are very expensive fish.

I have only two places near me to get fish. WalMart where I refuse to go and another store similiar to Walmarts but fish tanks are in better condition. Not much chose tho and same species are delivered every week, it seems.

One both these larger tanks are set up and rearing to go, I can take a real trip with a bunch of coolers and get several.

jeffs99dime
12-22-2006, 10:12 PM
this is true. i still wouldn't go there though. even if i lived in antarctica and walmart was the only place near me. that's just me though. they're an evil corp. they're also killing small business but, that's a different topic all together.:ezpi_wink1:

Nautilus291
12-23-2006, 03:16 AM
You know what jeff and hobbs i was in town tonight and i went into a number of stores. Walmart meijer petland and pets supplies plus. Walmart was horrible 2 tanks with ich, psp was very bad too dead fish in almost every tank, and i saw some blue gouramis that looked grey. over all meijer and petland where the best. The tanks where kept in good conditions and all of there fish had very good color. From store to store i looked at the blue gouramis and at meijer there colors where amazing. way different then looking at them at psp.

jman
12-23-2006, 05:27 AM
The problem for so many is no LFS near them. Sending online for them is good but you have to have your tank set up to accomodate a large number all at once (or various tanks). You sure can't order 4 at a time to justify the shipping charges unless they are very expensive fish.

I have only two places near me to get fish. WalMart where I refuse to go and another store similiar to Walmarts but fish tanks are in better condition. Not much chose tho and same species are delivered every week, it seems.

One both these larger tanks are set up and rearing to go, I can take a real trip with a bunch of coolers and get several.
do you request shipments i think you can if you ask

mlnancejr05
12-24-2006, 06:40 AM
Yea, the Petsmart close to be is pretty well maintained but it is also fairly new. I have never even considered and never will by fish from Wal-Mart, they are the anti-christ superstore. Luckily, I have two very well kept, intelligent LFS's by me. So there for no biggy, but people don't realize, that yea they maybe just fish but they are something that was created for joy and should not be treated with disregard. I hate animal cruelty, but when people that work at the Petsmarts and Walmarts have no respect for fellow human beings, how the hell are they going to have respect for fish?

jman
12-24-2006, 06:48 AM
self explanatory!