PDA

View Full Version : Just some mid summer pond pics

smaug
07-29-2008, 07:58 PM
I was snapping some pics yesterday eve of the pond and its inhabitants and I thought Id share with you all.

Lady Hobbs
07-29-2008, 08:05 PM
Awesome and looks as it's been there for a long time already and it seems like you just started it. The fountain really sets it off and keeps that water moving. Nice job there fella.

ladyoutlaw50
07-29-2008, 08:08 PM
that is beautiful!! Nice job!! I wish I could do something like that -- number 1 don't have the room and number 2 it gets very cold here in the winter!!

smaug
07-29-2008, 08:10 PM
This is my old pond,I never got around to starting the new bigger pond yet.This one has been up and running for 4-5 years now.I have no choice but to make it bigger next year,that blue koi in the pic is 8-9" and the 2 butterfly koi are a little bigger then him!Thx for the compliments Lady:1luvu:

smaug
07-29-2008, 08:12 PM
that is beautiful!! Nice job!! I wish I could do something like that -- number 1 don't have the room and number 2 it gets very cold here in the winter!!
If you make it deep enough [over 2 feet] and put a pond heater in to keep a hole cold isnt a problem.Having the room is the gig trouble.Another problem is the need for large water changes and if I had city water I wouldnt have a pond,that would get expensive!Thx for the comps!

funnyfish
07-30-2008, 02:48 AM
Lady I have heard about the winters in maine my sis in law lived there for awhile said it was the coldest

Thats a beautiful pond I really would love to do that

toddnbecka
07-30-2008, 05:40 AM
Water changes in a pond? I have a really small one in the back yard (6' diameter, 17" deep after a good rain) that I never change the water in. No koi or goldies, just rosy reds to eat the skeeter larvae. The rosy's were originally food for a catfish that spent one summer out there after it outgrew the tank. It wasn't a hardy sort though, so it went back to the lfs in the fall. The uneaten feeder fish thrived along with the water lilies, and they don't eat lily roots like goldies or koi. They do spawn every spring/summer, the fry are mostly feeders for my cichlids. Left alone they'd overcrowd the pond and die off anyway. There's been enough rain through the whole summer to keep the water level from getting too low, though I have topped it off with the hose in previous years.
Otherwise, I don't even feed the plants, much less the fish, yet they all grow and multiply. From the looks of the lily pads I'll be needing to thin some out in the next year or two. Last winter I didn't even use a heater, and everything survived a couple inches of ice that lasted for weeks.

Gemstone
07-30-2008, 05:43 AM
yOUR pond is truly lovely....we plan on building one in the new house...for Rodger the human goldfish..and maybe a girly friend or two...

I think I'll send my hubbie off to you for some tips and advice!!!...:hmm3grin2orange:

GouramiGal
07-30-2008, 01:53 PM
omg I luv that frog!!!!!

smaug
07-30-2008, 08:04 PM
Water changes in a pond? I have a really small one in the back yard (6' diameter, 17" deep after a good rain) that I never change the water in. No koi or goldies, just rosy reds to eat the skeeter larvae. The rosy's were originally food for a catfish that spent one summer out there after it outgrew the tank. It wasn't a hardy sort though, so it went back to the lfs in the fall. The uneaten feeder fish thrived along with the water lilies, and they don't eat lily roots like goldies or koi. They do spawn every spring/summer, the fry are mostly feeders for my cichlids. Left alone they'd overcrowd the pond and die off anyway. There's been enough rain through the whole summer to keep the water level from getting too low, though I have topped it off with the hose in previous years.
Otherwise, I don't even feed the plants, much less the fish, yet they all grow and multiply. From the looks of the lily pads I'll be needing to thin some out in the next year or two. Last winter I didn't even use a heater, and everything survived a couple inches of ice that lasted for weeks.
Yup,twice a month.I use the removed water to water the plants,its like liquid fertilizer.I am overstocked as ponds go.There are 2 butterfly koi,3 std koi,5 big comets and a black moor,total inces of fish comes to 70" its a 150 gallon and for the fish load it should be 500gal,next year it will be around 1000 gal.If I know we have a big thunderstorm coming I remove 30 gallons or so to get a free WC but other then that I do it myself.
Thanks to you all for the compliments!

sandy_n
07-31-2008, 04:00 PM
It looks so peaceful and relaxing. Nice koi. Love the frog too!

Fish Tail
08-25-2008, 08:59 PM
Great pond!
Bull Frogs are nice frogs.

dean30bb
08-26-2008, 06:53 AM
wow looking good nice :19: :19: