PDA

View Full Version : Before I make any more mistakes

Tambo
07-29-2008, 03:25 AM
As I have posted in a previous thread, I did the whole newbie thing and took the LFS advice and setup my new tank with fish (wish i had read about it online first) anyway, the tank has been running now for 1 week with 4 Red Eye Tetras (tank is 37g. I got my API test kit today, and Ammonia is around 0.25-0.35 (hate colour tests) and nitrites are 0, PH is around 7.5 and temp is 25 deg celcius.

I am going to do a 25% water change today, and add Prime to the new water. Then I am going to add 20mls of Seachem Stability to the tank directly, and then 10ml every day for the next 7 days.

Is there anything else I should be doing, or not doing :)

Thanks.

digital3
07-29-2008, 04:46 AM
Just keep your tests handy, check once in the morning and again in the late afternoon/evening. Keep up with those water changes to keep your Ammonia low. When you start getting Nitrite readings, you need to be extra vigilant as you will begin to deal with Nitrite spikes.

It's going to take a while but you WILL get there. The good news is that you are aware of the fact that a cycle needs to happen. Once it is complete your Ammonia and Nitrites will hit zero. After that, it is smooth sailing. I think that's the biggest problem when it comes to fishkeeping. People don't cycle and fish loss occurs, thus discouraging the hobby.

It looks like you have a handle on things. All you need is... patience. That's the hardest part. Good luck!

Lady Hobbs
07-29-2008, 04:36 PM
I don't think you need to do a water change yet. Your ammonia level is about as low as it can get.

Aerate the tank and turn the heat to about 82 as bacteria likes the warmth and the oxygen to get growing well. Do NO cleaning, vacuuming or change out your filter and feed sparingly.

Tambo
08-01-2008, 08:16 AM
Well I have added more Stability only once since the first does (I forgot for 1 day) and I did a water test today before adding more stability.

My readings are: Ammonia 0 - 0.2, Nitrite is either 1.5 or 2.5 (the colours are hard to read on the card), and PH is still stable.

Does this mean my ammonia has spiked and the Nitrites are kicking in?

fins_n_fur
08-01-2008, 10:42 AM
Your tank is indeed cycling! I'm not sure that you will see nitrite and nitrate spikes with the Stability (I'm thinking that they should smooth those out and you will nearly have a "silent" cycle as with a heavily planted tank.) You need to watch your ammonia and nitrite levels carefully as nitrites are just as harmful as ammonia in low concentrations...Nitrates are worrying once over 20 ppm. You are adding Stability daily, correct, as the directions state to add daily for 7 days?

NickFish
08-01-2008, 12:05 PM
It's getting there! Just make sure to add your new fish very slowly when you do get them.

Some people find that turning the tank temp up helps beneficial bacteria. I do not notice this however. The bacteria can survive and grow in anything over 55F. If it is over that is is good. Also, since the bacteria need oxygen to thrive, and colder water has more oxygen, wouldn't it be beneficial to have the water a little colder? Not that warmer water would hurt, just that I believe whatever you are keeping your fish at you can cycle your tank at.