PDA

View Full Version : Softies not doing to hot...

cabrego
07-29-2008, 02:46 AM
So,

I have lost 2 kenyi trees, and my xenia does looks a bit wilted and hasn't been pusling for days. I am not sure what the problem is.

nitrate, sicates, phosphates are all undetectable. salinity is 1.025 and ph at 8.2.
calcium is around 400, and Kdh is at 12.

The only culprit I have in my mind is the cyano breakout during my 4 month or so, which I am in the middle of. The cyano does not appear to be on anything other than the sand and the rockwork.

I have been feeding every other day with DT phytoplankton, and dosing with amino acids every other day.

What can I check for or what should I do, xenia is usually very happy but has been a bit stressed now for at least a week.

cocoa_pleco
07-29-2008, 02:59 AM
i had 5 months of cyano, my corals still looked awesome. some corals just take plain ol' vacation days, my toadstool took a 2 week vacation then suddenly opened up

spudbuds
07-29-2008, 06:12 AM
Have you tested for ammonia or nitrite? How long did you have the kenya trees before they died?

Are you dosing anything other then they phytoplankton and amino acids? What's your water change schedule like? Can you give us a run down of your equipment as well (light, power heads, skimmer, other filtration)?

Any other details about your husbandry practices would be helpful.
- Bill

cabrego
07-29-2008, 09:20 PM
Have you tested for ammonia or nitrite? How long did you have the kenya trees before they died?

Are you dosing anything other then they phytoplankton and amino acids? What's your water change schedule like? Can you give us a run down of your equipment as well (light, power heads, skimmer, other filtration)?

Any other details about your husbandry practices would be helpful.
- Bill

I havent tested for ammonia or nitrites as those have been reading zero for as long as I can remember. I suppose it wouldnt hurt to check them again.

I had the kenyi's for around 2 months. They were doing really well until about 2-3 weeks ago.

Lights are T5's(nova xtreme 24" 94w)
Skimmer Corallife 100
2 Korolia 1's Powerheads

I am only dosing with DT's and coral life invertebrate smogsborg (amino acids/vitamins).

I change 3-5 gallons of the 26 gallons every week or so. Although, I think earlier this month, I went 2 weeks without water changes (just top offs) to test the tanks capability. I will be out of town for around 10 days so I wanted to make sure nothing to drastic would happen. Everything appeared to be well.

I have given the tank 2 water changes in the last two weeks though.

My paly's polyp appear to be over extended to the point that they actually look closed, but I believe they are over extended. Does this indicate a nutrient deficiency?