PDA

View Full Version : Are my API water tests accurate after using Prime?

Esquire
07-27-2008, 06:30 PM
I read someplace that I may be getting false readings with my API Freshwater Master test kit if I'm testing water after I have added Prime for conditioning.
Anyone know about this?
Is my storage water good to go or should I add something else to adjust?
I'm currently cycling my tank for hopefully fish next week,

My Tap water results

KH 71 ppm
GH 161 ppm
PH 7.6
PH high range 8.8
Ammonia 1.0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 8.

My Tap water AFTER adding Prime and 2 days in storage container with agitation..

KH 53 ppm
GH 143 ppm
PH 7.6
PH high range 8.4
Ammonia .50
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 8.

cocoa_pleco
07-27-2008, 06:32 PM
yep, you should wait 30min-1h after adding stuff to the tank to test, else you get wonky readings. also, make sure your fingers dont touch the test, they throw it off too

ILuvMyGoldBarb
07-27-2008, 06:36 PM
Agreed. The addition of any water conditioner will affect a water test. You will not get accurate readings. As Cocoa suggested, you need to wait at least 1 hour before testing, waiting 2-3 hours will be even more accurate.

Esquire
07-27-2008, 06:47 PM
I waited 2 days.
So the readings are accurate?

Would you change the storage water at all?

Luna
07-27-2008, 07:18 PM
also, make sure your fingers dont touch the test, they throw it off too

That's really only a concern with test strips. He is using API Freshwater kits, which are all liquid. :ezpi_wink1:

I have never heard of Prime affecting test results, especially if you waited two days. AmmoLock and AmQuel will affect those results. Also, Prime is a very fast dechlorinator, so you should only have to wait an hour at the very most for the water to be ready.

cocoa_pleco
07-27-2008, 07:23 PM
liquids get affected too, if you smudge against the inside of the glass or your finger touches the liquids at all

Esquire
07-27-2008, 07:24 PM
So what do you recommend to get rid of the Ammonia?

Ammo-Lock?

Luna
07-27-2008, 07:36 PM
liquids get affected too, if you smudge against the inside of the glass or your finger touches the liquids at all

Yes, touching the liquids can affect the results, but it is difficult to do that with API tests. It is also difficult to smudge the inside of the tube. In all likelihood, the OP did not do either.

AmmoLock will bind the ammonia; but the test will still detect the ammonia present, so you will never really know how much free ammonia you have. What is your water source?

Esquire
07-27-2008, 07:44 PM
Local Tap water, Should I use something other than Ammolock so that I can test the water?

cocoa_pleco
07-27-2008, 07:45 PM
yep, ammo-lock converts it to ammonium (NH4)

Esquire
07-27-2008, 09:08 PM
Wait a second, Prime is doing the same thing as ammo lock states it will do.

My test readings that are showing the Ammonia are misleading. It's there but in a non toxic form.
Prime has locked up the ammonia in a non toxic form, to be broken down by my tanks bio filter after it has been cycled.
Is this correct?
My current water in my storage tanks is good to go as is?

My Tap water AFTER adding Prime and 2 days in storage container with agitation..

KH 53 ppm
GH 143 ppm
PH 7.6
PH high range 8.4
Ammonia .50 (This is now in non toxic form to fish)
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 8.