PDA

View Full Version : Aphanius iberus

nick_cave
12-12-2005, 11:33 AM
Does anyone has any personal experience with this species that would like to share here with me. I'm intrested in keeping them.

Greeting From Lisbon

William
12-12-2005, 07:51 PM
Well I kept the species for a short while. Not really the kind of fish I usually keep.

My experiences say that it is a hardy fish as long as you keep the water clean. I personal kept them in freshwater with a temperature of 17°C. They should however accept both fresh and saltwater and tolerate a temperature between 4°C and 35°C. Something I find very impressive. They will need a water temperature of at least 15°C to spawn.

They spawn among fine leafed plants. The eggs hatched after about 10 days. I experienced batches that hatched in 8-12 days. The fry accepted brine shrimp right from the start and grows quite fast. However I would not vouch for how fast they grow considering they are killi fry. I am more use to cichlids and compare them to cichlid fry.

They would most likely do very well in a pond considering the fact that you live in portugal. Practically their native range.

nick_cave
01-06-2006, 12:02 PM
I've checked the conditions in my outside pond, and after a period of aclimatation, ive introduce two couples of Aphanius iberius, for kown i will keep my fingers crossed, hopping they get allong fine.

William
01-06-2006, 09:43 PM
kep us updated.