PDA

View Full Version : Cant do it

funnyfish
07-27-2008, 05:31 AM
Ok I was really thinking of putting our ( my sons ) 2 goldies in a pond but I cant help but worry about the wild kitties and birds and also we would have to either have them in full sun or full shade and this doesnt seem right. I would worry all the time about them. So I think the pond is out and I think I am just going to upgrade to at least a 35 gallon for them and let them be happy were I dont have to worry so much about them. But I have a question is there anything that can go in there like clean up crew..? I know the helpers at petco said that something but I cant remember the name it was a long skinny light orange/ yellow fish could go in there for clean up. I cant trust them though because they have given me such bad advice. Anything you all can add best size tank, gravel?, decor, plants. They seem very happy right now but I want them to be the happiest.... Thank you all.

Halelorf
07-27-2008, 02:55 PM
For the most part goldies should be kept by themselves because they are a coldwater fish. I wouldn't put tropicals in a tank with them because either the water temp will be off for the trops or the golds or one of them will get harrassed. Get some sand for your substrate and you will see waste very easy, and a quick water change every week or two will be all the cleaning needed. You really don't need a cleaner fish in there.

gm72
07-27-2008, 03:24 PM
If they are common goldfish they will need a larger tank--more like a 55 or so. They can get very large.

Don't mix tropicals and goldfish. However, the fish you describe sounds like a gold dojo loach. They are simply awesome fish, I have 2 myself.

Remember that goldfish are very dirty fish and will need a lot of filtration and weekly water changes.

With 2 goldfish I would have a 55 gallon tank with a canister like an Eheim 2028 or a HOB like the AC 110.

EDIT: I do want to add that introducing non-native fish into a pond is absolutely a bad idea, so I am glad to hear you are not going to do that.

abaigael04
07-27-2008, 04:29 PM
just remember loaches need to be in groups ! I'm sure your goldies will love their new home!

gm72
07-27-2008, 04:49 PM
Yes, good clarification on grouping the loaches.

funnyfish
07-27-2008, 05:45 PM
Yea I wasnt sure what there were and I wouldnt mix tropicals with my goldies thats why I came to you all to find the real scoop because I have been given such bad advice from Petsmart. So thank you all for your help and info..
gm I wasnt going to put them in any pond I was going to build one outside in our yard just from them. I just wanted you to know I would never do that. LOL

gm72
07-27-2008, 06:17 PM
gm I wasnt going to put them in any pond I was going to build one outside in our yard just from them. I just wanted you to know I would never do that. LOL

Great clarification, thanks a lot. I'd definitely use that for an excuse to build a pond!

funnyfish
07-27-2008, 07:13 PM
Lol I know but I am too worried about them so I cant ....I just didnt want you or anyone else think I would do that.

Mvjnz
07-28-2008, 01:27 AM
They'll be fine in a pond in full shade. Just get some kind of netting to go over the pond, it will protect them from cats and birds. That's what most people do, only people who are little bit stupid do nothing to protect their ponds from predators..

Gemstone
07-28-2008, 08:51 AM
water lillies....even if they are the fake floating variety...in a pond also supplies protection as well as some shade...if a part is of the pond is nice and deep...they will go there if it gets too warm...and if a part is nice and shallow..they will go there if it gets too cold....