PDA

View Full Version : Tiger Barbs and Angelfish

labnjab
07-27-2008, 03:42 AM
We had 3 tiger barbs and 1 angel fish in the same 10 gal for 3 mos now. They never bothered each other at all each did their own thing. (We know the 10 gal is small but they are getting a 30 gal in hopefully 2 wk or so it depends on when our 55 gal cycles.)

Anyway. Recently 1 of the tiger barbs died, and ever since the other 2 have been showing aggression to the angel fish. So we decided to get 2 more tiger barbs hoping they would school and leave the angel fish be. They did at first but when we got home tonight, the original 2 tiger barbs are nipping at the angel fish but the angel fish lunges at them and they back off. No one is missing any fins at the moment but we just don't know what to do. We don't have another tropical tank kicking around, so we cant separate them. When we get them moved into the 30 gal we are planning to buy 4 more tiger barbs. Any suggestions?? (We don't want to have to give any away either)

smaug
07-27-2008, 12:50 PM
I read everything including your last sentence.Unfortunately,if you want to keep your angel alive you will have to re home something.Tigers are very aggressive and if they have a thing for the angel he is as good as dead.Tigers need 6 at least to stem aggression toward other fish and at the moment you don't have the room for that many.I gotta be blunt,a tank with tigers and angels is not a good idea.Some on this site have the mix and get away with it,maybe they will pop in with there secrets.

labnjab
07-27-2008, 04:34 PM
Would a temporary tank divider work until we can move them into a larger tank and get more barbs? I think its odd how they've been great for 3 months, right up until one died. They are leaving the angel fish alone now. Worse comes to worse we'll have 2 find anther home for one of them.

fins_n_fur
07-27-2008, 04:56 PM
A tank divider is better than nothing at this point, although I have heard of fish getting over, under, or around them--it's worth the angel's fins to try. Tiger barbs are really best in a tank of at least 6-8 (or more, depends on tank size) with some bottom dwellers. The larger number will keep them busy playing with each other/sorting rank and not disturb bottom dwellers. I would hold off on getting more tiger barbs until you have the right tank for them. I think the one dying off has disrupted their societal balance and is why they are picking on the angel now. More might balance it out, or they will all gang up on the angel and nip its fins to shreds.

Who are you putting into the 55 when it cycles?

C-Dub
07-27-2008, 06:35 PM
ya, get the divider, not a good combo at all.

labnjab
07-27-2008, 06:45 PM
I'm putting the 4 fancy's that i currently have in the 30 into the 55, and then i was gonna move the barbs, angel and female betta into the 30. How many more barbs can i fit into the 30 and not be over crowded, i was thinking around a total of 8, but i could do more if their will be room. I will have a fluval 304 and a aquatech 30-60 for filtration.

I'm off to buy a divider now.

fins_n_fur
07-27-2008, 07:01 PM
I think putting the barbs in with a betta and an angel is a mistake, two fish with flowing long fins is just going to be temptation for massive fin nipping by the barbs. As I said, I think it would be better for barbs to be in their own tank with bottom dwellers only.

labnjab
07-27-2008, 07:09 PM
I think i'll leave the barbs in the 10, and move the betta and angel into the 30. What would be suitable tanks mates for a betta and angel that won't over crowed the tank or nip. For now i bought a divider and am going to install it now.

fins_n_fur
07-27-2008, 07:33 PM
If you look at my signature, you can see the types of fish that I have with angels...corys, cacatouides, german blue rams, tetras (larger, neons not good as they may end up as snacks for the angel), keyholes...at least to get you started on thinking on what to get. You could also do some research on types of apistogramma's--mostly small, but beautiful fish with character. You could also get one more angel for a max of two and they might pair. The betta is a bit of an odd-ball, in my opinion, and I'm not sure what to recommend as I don't know anything about bettas, I'm afraid. As for numbers, for your tank, I'd probably half the population in my tank, but I'm a bit conservative.

C-Dub
07-27-2008, 09:03 PM
Boy this is tricky, not to come in and really throw a stick into your spokes but my angels absolutely destroyed my betta leaving nothing but a half dead no finned carcus on the gravel in one night's work.

labnjab
07-27-2008, 09:46 PM
I've never seen any problems from my female betta and angel, I've even seen them sleeping next to each other. I put the divider in, betta and angel on one side, barbs on the other, the betta and angel are getting along fine.The crabs like the divider, they keep crawling over the top and switching sides...lol