PDA

View Full Version : Red Claw Crab -- Question

keithalmli
07-27-2008, 02:08 AM
I recently bought a Red Claw Crab and it has been an amazing active pet. The crab was very fun to watch and it frequently tried to escape and loved to climb the coral I have in the aquarium to reach the surface. The crab was also a very good eater as we have tried many different things with it and the crab seems to enjoy them all.

Recently, the crab stopped being active and I thought it was molting. But the crab hasn't moved in about 24 hours; it has been in the same exact spot. Is it normal for the shell of the crab to still have the eyes and everything? The shell (or the dead crab) looks exactly the same as it did; only it's not moving at all. I'm not sure where the crab has hidden if it still is alive as the aquarium has gravel instead of sand and it isn't under the seashell or the bridge I have for it. Should I watch it for a few days or should I get rid of the crab?

I would like to get a new Red Claw Crab if indeed this Crab is dead. It was a very entertaining and fun pet and I will be sad if it has died. :(

Mustang Boy
07-27-2008, 03:03 AM
did you have it in a tank full of water or did you have a dry area for the crab to come aground cause FW crab are more amphibious than straight up water creatures they require land to come up on so if you dont have any land he may very well be dead

keithalmli
07-27-2008, 03:06 AM
Yes, we have a piece of wood she could climb on.. and plus she likes to climb the coral.

She did until last night.

Billythefish
07-27-2008, 03:36 AM
(Imo) it can take a day or two for it to shed its skin.. Give it a day and pick up what you think is the crab.. Other than that take care when your walking around thay are the best at finding ways out of there tank and will tend to turn up in your shoes lol

keithalmli
07-27-2008, 03:41 AM
So even though no movement it may be alive still?

Billythefish
07-27-2008, 04:05 AM
Yep with the crabs ive had over the years ive been fooled by the same thing... Put my hand in to fined it was still inside the old shell and then a day later there was two!.. Like i say give him 48h and if you still have know change then pick it up.. If it is the shell then it will have a small hole on the belly. May i ask what you have been feeding it?

keithalmli
07-27-2008, 04:21 AM
Blood worms, Algae Wafers, and has been after a bit of the wood.

She is with other fish, but she seems to stay away from them.

Billythefish
07-27-2008, 04:49 AM
That sounds fine to me.. I'd also give it shelless peas too my crab loves em and it helps prevent constipation, good luck and let us know how you get on

keithalmli
07-27-2008, 04:55 AM
I do notice there is a fish.. attempting to eat it? lol it keeps flipping it over.. what should i do about that lol

Billythefish
07-27-2008, 05:03 AM
Given that the fish are doing that i'd say the crab isnt in the shell or is dead... You best pick it up and have a look see

keithalmli
07-27-2008, 05:05 AM
Yesterday the bottom part of it started opening up.. and i could see little hairs and stuff... and then it went back to (or close) to what it regularly looks like..

It looks like part of it was cracked open.. but i know nothing came out of her shell..

COuld it maybe not have had enough "umph" to get out of there? and perhaps died from the stress of trying to get out of there?

Thanks

Billythefish
07-27-2008, 05:18 AM
I shouldn't think so, maybe it got out and the flap closed shut making it look as if it was still in there

keithalmli
07-27-2008, 05:19 AM
where would it go LOL..(i have nothing but gravel and a bridge and some wood. shall i just leave it until tomorrow to see if anything changes? if not by tomorrow i will just have to remove Mrs. Crabs =(

Billythefish
07-27-2008, 05:30 AM
No harm in leaving it for now, and if you have and wires airline tubing in the tank then that would most likerly be how it got out!, i called my first crab deany after that famouse escapeist dude

keithalmli
07-27-2008, 08:00 PM
alright.. i got up this morning and it looks like the bottom of the crab is like flapping off? does that mean shes out in about somewhere?

It looks like there is a small hole in the bottom of the crab

Billythefish
07-27-2008, 11:39 PM
alright.. i got up this morning and it looks like the bottom of the crab is like flapping off? does that mean shes out in about somewhere?

It looks like there is a small hole in the bottom of the crab
Lol sure looks that way to me buddy.. You need to fined it real fast befor it dry's up!

aquasteph
02-09-2009, 03:21 AM
Do you have a heater in your tank? If the temperature is too low, they will go into a hibernation like state. Basically they freeze up. If you remove them and put them in warm water they will start to move again & be happy. I keep mine at about 75 degrees and they are very happy & molt often. Good luck! :goldfish:

aquasteph
02-09-2009, 03:22 AM
Also when that little flap opens up on their butt, that means their molting. Leave him alone for a few days and make sure he has enough places to hide from other crabs while he is soft and recovering.