PDA

View Full Version : Which rainbowfish do you prefer?

PUNISHER VETTE
07-26-2008, 01:34 PM
I'm off to the LFS for some more ottos and i've had my eye on some rainbowfish.

Although most seem to be $10-$15 there are a few like the Australian one thats only $3 which i still like the look of. But then there are a few up into the $30 range that i probably wont even consider.

But i'm just trying to figure out why i shouldn't go with the Australian variety if they're cheaper and look just as good to me with their red/blue color.

Lady Hobbs
07-26-2008, 01:38 PM
I have the turquoise, boesemani and splendia. Can't say which I prefer as there are many I don't have. Of those I do have, I prefer the boesemani. The spendia is kind of wild and larger.

Lady Hobbs
07-26-2008, 01:40 PM
PS.....The Spendia fry I had a couple months ago that were just wee spots are now already larger than the boesemani's that are much older.

troy
07-26-2008, 05:16 PM
I like the celebes rainbowfish.

PUNISHER VETTE
07-26-2008, 05:44 PM
I talked myself out of going to the LFS today and spending money...but then i went to steak and shake for lunch.

I sat for 5min then they gave me my food....i hadn't paid yet. so i sat there another 4min and nobody came back to the window(it was 10:30...i was hungry) so nobody else was behind me... so i just left. I still feel bad about not paying.....

So i don't know if that's fate telling me i should spend that $8.50 i would have spent on lunch for a fish?

Lady Hobbs
07-26-2008, 05:49 PM
Sooooooo not worth going to jail for. yikes

Halelorf
07-26-2008, 07:00 PM
My favorites are Boesemani and Praecox.

Fishalicious
07-26-2008, 07:47 PM
I love the Pseudomugil's - all of them :1luvu:

Dave66
07-26-2008, 08:09 PM

A blue-eyed girl, eh? My itch du jour is Glossolepis incisus.

Dave

PUNISHER VETTE
07-26-2008, 08:12 PM

I've never seen those at my LFS but that would be more my style if they did have some.

PUNISHER VETTE
07-26-2008, 09:12 PM
Just got back. Ended up getting 3 Dwarf Neon ones. 1 of the 3 was already full grown and must be almost 2in already. The other two are under an inch.

I also got 5 harlequin rasboras

dean30bb
08-05-2008, 07:26 AM
there are heeps of different australian rainbow fish heres a picture of all sorts of them together and a link to all there temprements http://members.optushome.com.au/chelmon/Contents.htm
just incase u wanted it

MrDrums
08-10-2008, 03:32 PM
I really like the Bosemani Rainbows. They are spectacular when in full color. I found them at a LFS for $9.99....usually they are up around $14 or so. I keep them with a green sev. and a geo. I was warned not to try it by the LFS as the sev. would be too agressive. However, I have had no problems and been keeping them for 3 months now. Makes for a colorful, interesting tank.

PUNISHER VETTE
08-10-2008, 03:39 PM
I got 3 of the neon rainbowfish how long ago now? two weeks ago maybe and they are doing great...unlike the rasboras which have only one that made it. I'm not sure but i think my zebra danios might have picked on them or it was just a case of my tank being bad again. I'm unsure if i should continue getting neon rainbowfish or mix with other rainbowfish.

this isn't my picture but one looks just like this and the other two are smaller but already getting big.
http://www.livefish.com.au/images/rainbow_praecox.jpg

I'd also like to get my school of neon tetras back up to impressive numbers but i just don't think i should since they never do very well.

Jacko
08-10-2008, 06:27 PM
Well, I have madagascar, australian and gertrude rainbows currently and out of them the gertrudes are my favorite. I've also had praecox, turquoise, boesmani and celebese. The boesmani and gertrudes were my favorite of them all.

scooterboy
11-11-2008, 07:47 AM
I like the goyder river variety of M. trifasciata, Like M. lacustris as well (Lake Kutubu)

PUNISHER VETTE
11-11-2008, 02:39 PM
Just an update since someone raised this thread from the dead. The 3 neon rainbow fish i got have done great. The two babies are almost as big as the full grown one now.

They are definitely hogs when it comes to food but having them stay alive is a miracle in my tank.

mac
11-12-2008, 12:36 AM
Hi,
I have Lake Kutubus, Dwarf Neon Rainbows [last of my 6 group school, all dying of old age.] And Feather Fine Rainbows. They are my favorites.

Just on question do you have a male female ratio or just male?

mac