PDA

View Full Version : African Dwarf Frog Lifespan....

nwnittany
07-26-2008, 03:27 AM
Regarding lifespan, what are everyone's experiences with ADFs ?

I just can't manage to keep them for more than 6-9 months. To a frog, they end up looking bloated (not the the point of dropsy, from what I can tell) and passing on.

My water parameters are good (now, anyway)...0 ammonia and trites, maybe 10-20 trates, pH is 7.0, temp is 78, in a community tank with some guppy, cory, and kuhli loaches. I feed a mixture of foods - veggie flakes, veggie pellets, treats of bloodworms and brine shrimp, algae table for the bottom guys...

Is this just a typical lifespan or just my bad luck (or bad frog-keeping) ?

OscarFan
07-26-2008, 03:32 AM
mine always last about 2 years

I think your feeding wrong frogs are not vegetarian and should be fed bloodworms and krill 2-3 times a week.

angelcakes
07-26-2008, 08:01 AM
mine always last about 2 years

I think your feeding wrong frogs are not vegetarian and should be fed bloodworms and krill 2-3 times a week.
you will get about 2-3 years out of an african dwarf frog but this can be lengthened to longer if fed the right diet,i agree with oscarfan you should be feeding bloodworm more so frozen,tubifex(freeze dried or frozen) basically frogs will eat anything and there good for cleaning a tank but they also need there own kind of food,they like prawns as well,these frogs are more meat eaters than you think,:19:

nwnittany
07-26-2008, 02:54 PM
Good to know. Thanks, guys...

My guy is still hanging in there, although he's spending all his time floating at the top.

Ryuu
07-26-2008, 03:01 PM
I've had my ADF for about three months. I feed them frozen brine shrimp every one to two days. My guys like to either, float up on top in the current of the filter, and be pushed into a circle, or hide under the drift wood. I have heard that they live for about two years.

Hope some of this helps,

Mike

angelcakes
07-27-2008, 07:59 AM
Good to know. Thanks, guys...

My guy is still hanging in there, although he's spending all his time floating at the top.
thats normal my big guys float at the surface or in the floating grass they have they can be there for hours on end,but if this is not normal for your frog,keep an eye on him:14:

Kaga's Kritters
07-27-2008, 02:38 PM
i read before that keeping adf's with other fish isn't the best idea....cause usualy the other fish take all the food and the frog doesnt get any. just make sure the frog is getting enough food, then it should live longer. they actually do better in a adf tank, and as long as the temp doesnt get below 70 F they are fine.