PDA

View Full Version : help me again

NikkiGeezy
07-26-2008, 01:18 AM
I have a male betts in a 10 gallon by himself. I noticed that his tail is jagged now. Like he is nipping at himself. The water conditions are fine. What is this from?

ILuvMyGoldBarb
07-26-2008, 02:35 AM
Could be a number of things. Decorations comes to mind. If there is anything in there with a moderately sharp edge then that will do it.

Nick_Pavlovski
07-26-2008, 02:57 AM
If he really is nipping at his own fins, then it can be a sign of boredom. You say he's alone in there. Is the tank near where people move around a lot? Does the tank have lots of real plants in it? Is there a hiding place for himself in the tank?

Jacko
07-26-2008, 03:51 AM
Some bettas just do the nipping thing unfortunatly, you might try adding pals to the tank, maybe a couple otos and a school of small rasbora/tetras. I have heard that sometimes this will stop the nipping, but like I said, some just like nipping themselves.

What type of filter are you running on there and do you have any sharp objects that could catch his fins as he swims by? Like some plastic plants, rocks, wood etc.? I have had a betta get sucked into a small internal filter and his fins got pretty chopped up and he's still recovering but I don't think this would cause just a little fraying. You might want to check the filter current, it might be too strong and is blowing him into objects.

And finally, how is he acting? Any more skittish than normal, frightened, more aggressive, anything like that?

kaoticice
07-26-2008, 04:06 AM
It could also be a case of finrot which is very common amongst male bettas. If it looked like a whole chunk of fin got ripped then its most likely he bite his own tail.

NikkiGeezy
07-26-2008, 04:52 AM
more details and pictures on the way as soon as my husband let's me on the computer

NikkiGeezy
07-26-2008, 07:04 AM
So I ran out at 10, and Wal-mart being the only thing open, I bought another filter. (thinking that might be the case.) I did about a 20% water change. I also noticed my son and thrown him some of his bean burrito. ( so thoughtful of him) I have both 10 gallon filters running at this time. They are both tetras. They both have bio bags. I hate the new one. It goes in the water. Very ugly. I'm hoping it is that ugly white plant (seen below) doing all the damage. I read they like hiding places. It was all I had at the time.

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c5/leaderoflostsouls24/others009.jpg

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c5/leaderoflostsouls24/others010.jpg

Can you see his tail?

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c5/leaderoflostsouls24/others012.jpg

Was this his bubble nest?

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c5/leaderoflostsouls24/others007-1.jpg

While I was taking pictures of him, he just kept swimming back and forth on the side of the glass. I will upload a video soon. He does not really seem to be doing it as much anymore. I just freaking out. Everyone says they don't last long and I don't want my baby to die. To answer a question.... Yes, he is in a place where people are around a lot. I think IO might move him to the living room just in case though.

NikkiGeezy
07-26-2008, 09:44 AM
bump.............

kaoticice
07-26-2008, 11:08 AM
Bettas live very long actually. Most of them can reach about 3-4 years if taken care properly. By the look of the picture I'm pretty sure he doesn't have a finrot which is a good thing. But having damage fins can lead to finrot at times. It looked like you've either got yourself a tail-eater or some of your decoration is ruining it.

invadertoast
07-26-2008, 04:05 PM
It's hard to tell from the pictures, but it doesn't really look like fin rot to me. I'd lose the rocks and plants and get him some nice, smooth PVC pipes from the hardware store to hide in, then see if his tail improves. That way you might get a better idea if it's decorations or boredom. I use PVC in my betta tanks and they absolutely love them!

NikkiGeezy
07-27-2008, 06:05 AM
thanks for the ideas

bettasandbeads
07-27-2008, 03:56 PM
Hi
My bettas just love their pipe fittings. Get some about 2-2 1/2 " long and a 1 1/2" diamater. He will love to play hide and seek in it. He will look like a kid hiding under a table ( I can see you but you cann't see me)
Also add a few real plants if you have any.
Java moss is good. Also I use a house plant called a heart leaf Philodendron. Just throw a few cutting into your tank. They will send out roots and fresh shuts. It grows below rhe water and also above. My bettas love to slide up on top of the leaf and just lay there.
Good luck with your Betta. Hope he is feeling better soon.
Catherine

ehjsne
08-11-2008, 03:36 PM
fin rot or it got ripped from a decoration in the tank. If it gets worse its fin rot. treat it with melfix or pimafix.