PDA

View Full Version : Use other search engines for anwsers

Music Master
07-25-2008, 11:40 PM
Im sorry, I dont quite know where to put this but, is it ok if I can use a search engine like google to research an answer before I post it, just to make sure Im not giving any wrong anwsers, or do I have to give my anwser even though it may be wrong?

gm72
07-25-2008, 11:42 PM
Giving wrong answers is definitely not a good idea. Please do make sure you post only correct information.

If you are not 100% sure about something, simply say that. If you read something somewhere but aren't 100% sure still, say that. If you want to confirm something you researched, ask away!

cocoa_pleco
07-25-2008, 11:43 PM
if the answer is in a book its probably alright, but anyone can post anything on the internet, some sites say its alright to put a 18" fish in a 20g. its best to be dead on sure

Music Master
07-25-2008, 11:44 PM
Ok thank you, I dont want to start off bad by giving bad answers!

gm72
07-25-2008, 11:44 PM
Good to hear. You'll get a whippin' if you do! :27:

Lady Hobbs
07-25-2008, 11:55 PM
Best to not answer if you don't know the answer. But, if you do find information someone may use, post the link and do not copy and paste information from another site, OK?

Music Master
07-26-2008, 12:06 AM
Ok thank you. Im trying to answer questions to the best of my ability, and doing research before I answer. Thank you!

Mvjnz
07-26-2008, 12:06 AM
Anyone can write a book too, and I'm sure we've all seen bad advice in books.

If I want to answer a question and I'm not sure about the answer (which doesn't happen a lot as I prefer to answer questions I know the answer too) I would simply google it, and not just quote the first site I come across, but look at at least 3 different sites, as a lot of them are written by people who are just guessing or going by personal experience. But if 3 people are saying the same thing, chances are they are right.

ILuvMyGoldBarb
07-26-2008, 01:03 AM
Anyone can write a book too, and I'm sure we've all seen bad advice in books.

That is why it is important to make sure any book on the hobby is from a publisher that is associated with the hobby. Books published by a hobby related publisher will have to go through peer approval in that they will be verified for accuracy.

Mvjnz
07-26-2008, 08:38 AM
Yeah, and the same thing goes for websites - don't believe everything you read. My point was that you can't tell someone that internet isn't reliable but a book is. That depends how you use it, both for the book and the internet.

CAllain
07-26-2008, 11:40 AM
I tend to make a point if I think I'm right but not 100% sure of giving my answer, then stating I'm not 100% sure so they might want to double check or wait for another reply.

I feel it just helps the person who asked get a reply sooner, and if I'm wrong it will be corrected and at least that way I can learn from it, and by stating I'm not sure I'm not pushing that person to take my possibly incorrect advice.

I sometimes do try to double check online, but I've found some information quite hard to come across.

Lady Hobbs
07-26-2008, 01:27 PM
Once again, the point is to leave links or tell where you got the information from. That way copyright laws are not broken.

gm72
07-26-2008, 02:23 PM
My point was that you can't tell someone that internet isn't reliable but a book is.

Amen to that. Just take a look at allexperts.com for an example of how to NOT believe the internet!