PDA

View Full Version : rock question

cocoa_pleco
12-20-2006, 12:54 AM
In my 20g long tank, I am thinking of putting in a big stack of rocks, since there are no decorations in there. My question is, do you have to take out the rocks when you siphon the gravel???? It would be a pain. Ive seen some tanks with tons of rocks on the bottom. How do you get rid of the waste??

Also, which rocks that are small and thin like slate that wont affect parameters, like ph.

Lady Hobbs
12-20-2006, 01:01 AM
I tried the rocks last summer and it lasted about a month. The food and poo got trapped down there with no where to go and it just didn't work. You would have to use an ungravel filter with a pump to pull the stuff back out.

That brings up another point. Ungravel filters are a nuisance. You buy the plates, put the things down but then have to have an air pump to pull the stuff back out. But it doesn't go anywhere. Just get sucked back up into the water so you still have to have another filter to remove it. Waste of money in my book but definately needed if you have rock.

cocoa_pleco
12-20-2006, 01:08 AM
well, then, I guess no rocks. I never have and never will use a ugf. It just traps the waste under, and you have to vacuum the tank more and ammonia goes up. I just use canister filters. Ive had the most success with them.

Another question. I havent used driftwood in a long time. Is it true that it cloud your water sometimes?? I just want to get my chocolate albino pleco a little chunk to chew on. And, is $7.50 a good price for a 3" chocolate albino pleco???

Lady Hobbs
12-20-2006, 01:17 AM
Don't know about the price of pleco's. I have 4 tanks and have none. Make very sure this pleco does not get very large as some get huge. If you want to stay small for a 20 gallon, perhaps a Bristlenose aka Bushy Nosed.

Good news on the UGF. I hate them too but didn't want to be so up front with my sentiments there. LOL

Driftwood can leech some tannis but keep in mind will not hurt your water a bit. It may leech for a couple weeks. If you can boil it, good for you. Let it simmer for a good long time changing the water when it darkens. If you're unable to boil it due to too large for pan, you can soak it in the hottest water you have. I assumed it's been processed if it's being purchased so only soaking a couple days will probably suffice.

cocoa_pleco
12-20-2006, 01:29 AM
okay. Ill be able to boil it since I just want a baseball sized chunk for my pleco to chew on. One the pleco gets big, ill just buy a 125 gallon or something to accommodate him. Onetime at a store, I saw a fullgrown pleco in a 20g aquarium, and not a long tank, a square one. Poor guy didnt have room to move.

jeffs99dime
12-20-2006, 02:50 AM
okay. Ill be able to boil it since I just want a baseball sized chunk for my pleco to chew on. One the pleco gets big, ill just buy a 125 gallon or something to accommodate him. Onetime at a store, I saw a fullgrown pleco in a 20g aquarium, and not a long tank, a square one. Poor guy didnt have room to move.

i hate when the lfs's do that! oh yeah, while i'm thinking of it, petsmart had a black ghost knive in a 10 gallon tank.. on the tank the with the description it said, "minimum tank size for full grown for black ghost knife is 30 gallons!!!!!

cocoa_pleco
12-20-2006, 03:55 AM
heck yeah. Mine does that too. I used to have a black ghost knife and he was in a 33g at least. a 10 is only suitible for 1 dwarf gourami, dwarf frogs, or guppies really. Maybe a platy.