PDA

View Full Version : Serious Changes Needed ASAP!

Cichlid_Man
12-19-2006, 08:27 PM
Hi all...
My computer has been down for a while, and now that I have it fixed, I have just seen about 3 Private Messages accusing me of cheating in the competitions.
I won't say who they are from.
First of all, I brought over 19 people from another forum to join here, and in return, they voted for me...OK? That is not cheating, it is good campaigning and it also helps this web site.

Now, what William needs to do ASAP, is to delete any members access that cannot verify their email address within one weeks time. Maybe a lot of work, but well worth it.
After that, it is imperative that an email verification be sent to the registering email address BEFORE a person is activated and can post.
This will prevent anybody from registering with more than one screen name which is what I am accused of doing.

When that is done, William needs to give ALL my MOTM votes to Abbey's Mom, and delete my name from the ballot...She deserves it, not me...I don't want ti anymore.
After I see that, maybe I will decide to stay and help people.
Thanks!

Incredulous_Ed
12-19-2006, 08:47 PM
I don't think that is cheating, but that problem does need to be fixed.
I do hope you decide to stay and help people!

Cichlid_Man
12-19-2006, 09:13 PM
I don't think that is cheating, but that problem does need to be fixed.
I do hope you decide to stay and help people!

Hi Ed...
I have no reason to cheat.. I am 54 years old...cheat for what?
I am insulted at being accused.

I most likely will stay but I still want my votes given to Abbey's Mom and my name removed from the ballot

Nautilus291
12-19-2006, 09:29 PM
Please dont leave we all need you here. You help out alot in the forums. I really hope you decide to stay. There are only 3 people out of hundreds that think that so dont worry too much.

Abbeys_Mom
12-19-2006, 10:03 PM
I would hope that no one on this site would cheat. It is always an option because this is the internet and people have a sense of anonymity, but it's still wrong. I would not cheat, lie or steal in the "real world" why do it here. Cichlid man, if you did nothing wrong, then you deserve to win MOTM regardless of the few that are accusing you. They are the minority here and although they have the right to voice their opinion it doesn't make the only opinion. You are well respected on this forum and have just as much of a right to be here as anyone else. I hope you chose to stay and rise above the petty bickering of "some" members. As for the people who accused you of cheating, I encourage them to monitor their own behavior, as it may have a negative impact on other people. I myself have questioned the validity of the polls and voting, but I don't believe it to be that much of an issue. If someone were to "cheat" to get an award, they are only cheating themselves and they are unable to win (at least MOTM) again until next year. I am sincerely hoping you will remain in the contest, I think you deserve to win.

I do agree that this site needs to be using the e-mail validation. It's a simple setting in the administrator control panel, maybe William will consider activating it. It would not prevent people from cheating in the polls, but it would make it a lot more work.

crackatinny
12-19-2006, 10:04 PM
I have to disagree with you withdrawing from the ballot, you have earned these votes, and whoever the 3 people are should have the guts to stand forward and say what they have to say in front of all.

crackatinny
12-19-2006, 10:37 PM
On the subject of email verification, how much trouble would it take to send out emails to all members, simply asking them to reactivate there account before further posting is allowed by them?, just an idea, it would also eventually clean out all the bots from the user directory, and find all the active members (even if they are not active but still interested in the site, they only have to visit and reactivate).

Cichlid_Man
12-19-2006, 11:48 PM
I guess you are right.
I was nominated...I received votes...why give it up?

I don't spend as much time on here as others because I babysit my granddaughter nearly every day, but the time I do spend is time helping in regard to the topics I know a lot about.

Yes, I'll stay, and yes, I want to keep my votes...

I would love to see an email verification come soon though, because the people that suggested that I have cheated, probably are the very ones that are doing the cheating.

Lady Hobbs
12-20-2006, 12:27 AM
This really makes me heartsick. You are a nice man and people see you as a nice man. I remember well even in last months competition not only did you nominate another member but you voted for him as well and did not vote for yourself. I am sorry you are upset but not surprised as I would be to.

We are supposed to be friends here and why would anyone even think of cheating for what.......an award? It's not like we are winning a car.

Personally, I have worked hard on these competitions, resizing pictures, putting them on the website, yadda, yadda, yadda and it certainly wasn't done for me but for everyone here to better enjoy this site.

I am a member of a couple sites and vote in competitions on other sites, as well. It doesn't matter as long as you're a member. People have that right.

Do not leave the competition! Do not let one or two petty people run you off. You deserve the votes you have gotten and worked for them by your graciousness, good posts, kindness and consideration to others here. You would be letting down all us that have voted for you and probably will be voting for you again in future contests.

I'm so sorry this has happened. The registering process maybe could be different but who knows what this site has for capabilities. I personally see no reason why things must change for one or two when so many like it just the way it is.

PS...I just checked the voting and can't understand the big deal at all. You have 24 votes and we have over 400 active members. ????? So what in heck is so unusal about the amount of votes you have? I would venture you got all 24 votes from right here on this site. If you got 19 from friends who come here just to vote, the score doesn't even add up as that would only leave you 5 votes from this site where you help people and spend all your time. No way buddy. You got most of those votes from right here.

Cichlid_Man
12-20-2006, 01:15 AM
Maybe they think they are smarter and better than me?

I have fish for 40 years and I am still learning.

I am not leaving....I grew up on the streets of Brooklyn and nobody was man enough to run me off there :-)

I am feeling better now...not as upset as before..

Abbeys_Mom
12-20-2006, 01:20 AM
I am glad you decided to stay :)

Severus
12-20-2006, 04:33 AM
I am glad you decided to stay as well. I am really upset that someone would accuse of cheating over a little online competition. Either way, keep your votes and i hope you win

Lady Hobbs
12-20-2006, 06:37 AM
Gosh, you'd think we could have a little contest without more bickering. I find this very unfortunate. Depressing, actually. I wonder if this means I cheated in Sept, Kimmers in Oct and Glasstapper in Nov ?

William
12-20-2006, 06:56 AM
OK. Enough of this nonsense. Cichlid_man is not cheating. The fact that you can't se it and that I don't require email verification to register does not mean that i can't se if someone is cheating or if someone is creating multiple accounts. If you suspect anyone of cheating pm me and only me and I will check just to make sure. Don't go around accusing people.

Cichlidman I wish you wouldn't withdraw and stay in it because you have earned the votes you have received.

William
12-20-2006, 08:19 AM
I just wanted to say a few more words regarding the email verification issue. Email verification doesn't make it easier for me to spot if anyone is cheating, actually it might result in the opposite (Ii will not explain how). Again contact me and nobody else if you suspect anyone of cheating.

I might turn email verification on but I prefer not to. Some people take their privacy on the internet very serious and I want these members to be able to use a fake email if they want to and I can still do everything I would be able to do with the verification turned on including effectively banning members, discover cheating etc. (even if they use fake emails.)

I know that some people here would like to think that it would make a difference but the fact is that it doesn't make any difference what so every in my abilities to spot cheaters etc. If as exampel people would have contacted me first i could have assured them that Cichlid_man hasn't been cheating.

And let me say this. Anyone not contacting me and accusing another member of cheating via, pm email or in the forum will risk temporary or even permanent banning. If you contact me and your suspicions turn out to be correct the issue will be dealt with and the cheater banned.

Cichlid_Man
12-20-2006, 10:00 AM
William,
I didn't take into consideration email privacy, so maybe you are right about leaving the site as is...

I think things are under control and yes, I am staying here. There's no other place like this one where you can get answers, teach, and have fun too.
Thank you, and have a great day!

Slinky_Bass
12-20-2006, 08:57 PM
Cichlid man, I know I'm joining this thread kind of late, but I must add my 2 cents, as Jeff would say. Firstly, I'm glad you're staying, you're a well mannered, experienced and friendly poster, and our community would be much poorer without you. Secondly, I wouldn't pay accusations of cheating any attention, you recieved my vote for MOTM legitemately, and while I also respect and appreciate Abbeys_Mom, I voted for you because I feel you deserve it, so please keep my vote :)

There are plenty more months and competitions and I'm sure Abbeys_Mom and all our other deserving members will be recognised in time.

kimmers318
12-21-2006, 02:25 AM
Geez....again...I missed whatever was going on that was not good as far as this issue was concerned! I am glad you decided to stay cichlidman...I for one never heard (er read) anything about you cheating for votes.

Cichlid_Man
12-21-2006, 02:50 AM
Thanks Kimmers and Slinky Bass..

I appreciate everyone here.
It was just a few folks that PM'd me saying they didn't think I was worth it, and they said my votes were not legitimate.

Go figure...
Have a great night and a good holiday season!

jeffs99dime
12-21-2006, 02:59 AM
Thanks Kimmers and Slinky Bass..

I appreciate everyone here.
It was just a few folks that PM'd me saying they didn't think I was worth it, and they said my votes were not legitimate.

Go figure...
Have a great night and a good holiday season!

well, i think you deserve it, as well as all the other members in the poll (contest) you have provided a great deal of outstanding info to the forum members. so i say-- good on ya! --jeff

Cichlid_Man
12-21-2006, 03:09 AM
Thanks jeff!

We do have a great bunch here..

jeffs99dime
12-21-2006, 03:14 AM
yeah man. don't sweat the small stuff. it'll all work out for ya!:ezpi_wink1:

MrKickalot
12-22-2006, 04:14 PM
What if you put a number of posts requirement on voting... maybe 10? Most people wouldn't take the time to make a bunch of fake names and then have to make 10 posts per name... Just my 2 cents!