PDA

View Full Version : Who has a dedicated goldfish tank?

Ty
07-24-2008, 11:47 AM
I have to say, that my goldfish tank is one of the most fun tanks to wach. They are such fun fish to watch when there are a few of them together, and they always appear to be changing (color and size, lol).

But the point of this thread is to ask what and how much do you feed your goldfish?

I have:
one large commet (5 inches)
one large oranda (5 inches)
one small pearscale (1.5 inches)
one small common (1.5 inches)
one medium fantail (2.5 inches)

what would you reccomend feeding them?

And I know that general rule of thumb is to fead them as much as they can eat in a minute, but they can clean up a large pinch of flakes in the much time, and they will keep doing it as long as I keep dropping it in. I just want to make sure tha I am not overfeading.

Fishguy2727
07-24-2008, 12:55 PM
The best diet for goldfish in my experience is New Life Spectrum. It is the only food mine get and they are much better for it. The biggest support for this is the fact that mine don't bother the plants, something almost all goldfish are very happy to do. Their colors are better, growth is very good, and they are VERY healthy. I added a new one yesterday and its orange didn't seem too light in the store. I got it home and next to the ones that have been eating NLS for so many months now it looks light orange compared to their red-orange.

There is a whole article on them at the top of this section, check it out, it should be a lot of help.

I have a 150 with currently 8 goldfish and I feed 1.5-2 teaspoons once or twice a day.

What size tank is it?

You can see pics of mine and their tank in my PhotoBucket page in my signature.

Ty
07-24-2008, 10:10 PM
My tank is a 75 gallon tank with okay filtration for now, I plan on upgrading around christmas to a fx5.

right now it is just a rena xp3, and a penguin 170 biowheel.

You are feading them the NLS goldfish food right?

Fishguy2727
07-25-2008, 01:14 AM
The FX5 is a great pick for that tank. The only thing you need to keep an eye on is the flow rate with the round-bodied goldfish. Worst case you will probably only need to put things in front of the outputs to reduce the flow rate a little.

Another thing is that the long-bodied guys can cause problems with the round-bodied ones. One possibility is eating the food faster and the slower round-bodieds won't get enough. Another is that I have known some long-bodieds to eat the wen (cap) on things like orandas.

I feed the NLS Large Fish Formula. It is a 3mm sinking pellet. Almost all the NLS foods are effectively the same. So the only thing you need to worry about is the size of the pellets and whether it floats or sinks. I have sand (a great substrate with any fish, but especially with goldfish) so I can feed even very small sinking pellets. There is also an article in my blog about sand. If you have gravel and need a small pellet you may want to consider bowl feeding, again there is an article on it in my blog.

GouramiGal
07-25-2008, 01:21 AM
Pratical Fishkeeping magazine has several interesting articles on goldfish this month. (July 08)

IMO, goldfish always appear ravenous. It's hard to tell how much to feed them.

Fishguy2727
07-25-2008, 01:23 AM
Is that the UK magazine?

GouramiGal
07-25-2008, 01:33 AM
Yup yup! I just bought it yesterday at Barnes & Noble.

Ty
07-25-2008, 02:07 AM
The FX5 is a great pick for that tank. The only thing you need to keep an eye on is the flow rate with the round-bodied goldfish. Worst case you will probably only need to put things in front of the outputs to reduce the flow rate a little.

Another thing is that the long-bodied guys can cause problems with the round-bodied ones. One possibility is eating the food faster and the slower round-bodieds won't get enough. Another is that I have known some long-bodieds to eat the wen (cap) on things like orandas.

I feed the NLS Large Fish Formula. It is a 3mm sinking pellet. Almost all the NLS foods are effectively the same. So the only thing you need to worry about is the size of the pellets and whether it floats or sinks. I have sand (a great substrate with any fish, but especially with goldfish) so I can feed even very small sinking pellets. There is also an article in my blog about sand. If you have gravel and need a small pellet you may want to consider bowl feeding, again there is an article on it in my blog.

I will have to look into the NLS for my goldfish.

I also think a LONG spray bar all the way acrost the back of the tank will take care of the flow, provide good turnover, and keep my fish from getting swept away.

Red
07-25-2008, 02:10 AM
I have a 35 long for my 2 goldfish ( i know a little small but they got a pond in the future) and they were used as cycle fish :)

Fishguy2727
07-25-2008, 02:11 AM
I have never seen anyone do a spray bar on an FX5, that sounds good. Have you found a DIY article on it or anything?

Did you read the article on goldfish I wrote?
Do you have gravel?

Ty
07-25-2008, 02:18 AM
I got the tank used and the guy gave me a bag of eco complete, and I dont like it much at all, it is way to light, and gets blown around. I am thinking of going to gravel, but I would like some pool sand even more. I have not been able to find it, and I wont do play sand again, it looks nice, but it is way to fine.

A spray bar will not be hard to make at all. I was thinking a "T" peice in the midle for the filter tubing to attach to, then smaller pvc off of each side with holes drilled into it and endcaps.

Fishguy2727
07-25-2008, 02:38 AM
I personally only use Estes' Marine Sand. It should not be any more expensive than gravel but I have never had any negative issues from it at all. It is discussed in more detail in the article on sand in my blog.

Halelorf
07-25-2008, 11:23 AM
Before I moved my goldfish to a pond they loved the sand bottom over the gravel that I switched out. I fed them Pro-Gold from Goldfish Connection and they were very healthy. once I get a bigger house i'm going to do a 250 gallon goldfish tank and try out NLS with them. I've had great success with all my other fish on NLS and would highly recommend it. I used play sand from a local hardware store that I had to wash in a bucket for a few hours to remove all the very fine sand so it wouldn't cloud my water. I know Fishguy has said the sand he uses doesn't need to be washed so unless you really like to wash I would try that out. Personally I like my goldfish tanks better than any other and they are my favorite fish to keep.

Juannie
08-04-2008, 04:50 AM
I use NLS, Hikari and a small amount of flake for variety. They get feed shelled peas every now and then and sometimes zucchinni blanched and cut up small - they love it. Since feeding the NLS and Hikari I don't have anywhere near as much waste- the unfortunate thing is I'm about to loose my beautiful black moor.

I still don't care what anyone says, i LOVE my goldies.

Fishguy2727
08-04-2008, 02:11 PM
Which Hikari food are you feeding?

If you can and want, they absolutely love duckweed. If you can grow some somewhere and give them a net full every once in a while they will be very thankful.

Juannie
08-04-2008, 11:48 PM
I feed mine Hikari Goldfish Gold pellets - they absolutely love it. What is duckweed?

Halelorf
08-05-2008, 02:00 AM
it's a floating plant, usually very small and it grows like crazy. I would culture it in a smaller tank then get a big goldball sized clump of it and drop it inthe the goldy tank. Would all be gone in about 5 minutes.

Ty
08-05-2008, 02:04 AM
Got a pic? Would it be possible to grab some from the river behind my house, sterilize it, and grow some in a bucket?

Fishguy2727
08-05-2008, 12:17 PM
Some LFSs have it (sometimes accidentally) and that would be a safer source. You can google it for pics and info.