PDA

View Full Version : Combining Fresh Tanks-fish compatibility

skinnyminnyn
12-10-2005, 11:22 PM
I have two healthy and thriving tanks (10 gal) and 20 or 25 gal), that I need to 'grow' to accomodate the growth of the fish. The 10 gal has a 5" black pleco and a 3" algae eater. The larger tank has a 5" red pleco and a 3" catfish. The tanks also have miscellaneous tetra's.

I want to combine the tanks.

Q1. Can the fish mentioned share a tank, ie are they territorial, will they try to kill each other?
Q2. To provide them an adequate home, what size tank should I be looking to upgrade to? I was thinking 50 gallon?

Thank you!

William
12-11-2005, 02:03 AM
Q1. Yes those species can be kept in the same aquarium. they might show some aggression towards eachother but this should not be a problem. I will however have to ask which catfish species do you refer to as catfish as this might, unlikely but might change my answer.

Q2. A 50 gallon aquarium seems good but you might be forced to upgrade again in the future as the fish grows.

knifefan
12-27-2005, 11:33 PM
What kind of catfish do you have? Some catfish are predator fish instead of scavengers and will take out small fish. Also you will want a tank that gives plenty of room for the two plecos to have their own areas as some plecos can become territorial towards others.