PDA

View Full Version : Death of a pond

Halelorf
07-24-2008, 01:46 AM
I've had my pond up running since early May this year as I moved my goldfish out to have a dwarf cichlid tank. Everything ran smoothly till this morning. I walked outside before work to feed my fish when I saw them all floating at the surface. The water surface was a bit foamy and the all the dead fish had strange white film around them that i've never seen before. Now I tested the water and ammonia and nitrite were 0 and nitrate was a little over 10 since the pond was due for a monthly water change. The foamy surface made me immediatly think the water had been poisoned. For the pond to run so well for a few months then suddenly crash like that was very unusual. I asked all my family members questions like, "did you add water?" "did you wash anything in soap?" etc. so i've ruled out everyone in my house. So I probably will never find out what happened but if anyone has seen something that matches the symptoms of foamy water with a white film around the bodies please post. One last time here is my big oranda during better times, RIP.

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh166/halelorf/GFM1.jpg

ladyoutlaw50
07-24-2008, 01:47 AM
I am so sorry for your loss!!!!!

Allecto
07-24-2008, 02:14 AM
That is so sad! I have heard about extra protein from uneaten fish food or rotting plants causing 'foam' in a pond, but neither of those would account for a sudden crash like that.

I have never really kept a pond before, so I can't be any more help than that, but I will look online and let you know if I see anything else.

Again, sorry.

Sharkman
07-24-2008, 02:44 AM
that's a shame. Did you ask a neighbor if they did anything or saw anything. Do any frogs go in your pond?

Sounguru
07-24-2008, 03:00 AM
I would look at kids in the neighborhood if they can get close to the pond sound almost like bleach or dish soap.

Real sorry for your loss.

funnyfish
07-24-2008, 03:24 AM
So sorry for your loss. What a shame I really hope its was not someone that caused this.... I hope you keep sharing your good memories with us.

sailor
07-24-2008, 03:29 AM
Sorry to hear of your loss. I't bad enough when you loose fish like this but it drives you crazy when you don't know why.

donvichu
07-24-2008, 03:58 AM
Sorry for your loss

Gemstone
07-24-2008, 05:16 AM
sorry to hear of this....I had the case in a previous house where neighbouring kids actully *fished* in my pond when I was not home!!!

Pamela_S.
07-24-2008, 05:55 AM
I'm so sorry for your loss..

I hope you figure out what happened.

angelcakes
07-24-2008, 07:39 AM
sorry for youre loss buddy:ssad:

graceluvsplatys
07-28-2008, 12:27 AM
oh no how sad!!!! some *** probably dumped in some clorox.
how do you do a water change on a pond?

Halelorf
07-28-2008, 01:06 AM
oh no how sad!!!! some *** probably dumped in some clorox.
how do you do a water change on a pond?

a bucket, a hose, some dechlor, and a good chunk of time.

smaug
07-28-2008, 01:18 AM
That sucks,Ive seen pond wipe outs before but not with the symptoms you mention.Im sorry for your loss.Did you have a heat spell or thunderstorms lately?Big thunderstorms with nearby lighning can remove the oxygen from the water.

Halelorf
07-28-2008, 01:32 AM
No it has actually been some of the most stable weather central Michigan has had in some weeks. A while back it seemed like there was a big storm every wo or three days for what seemed like forever. They were completely fine then. I have a suspicion that it was my neighbors children who did something, but i'm not about to go over and start accusing some children of killing my fish. I can't prove anything and while I do think they did it, all I have is my suspicions.

smaug
07-28-2008, 02:48 AM
That would drive me crazy if I thought someone did that to me.Do you have a phosphate test kit?If your water is otherwise free of phos ,a high number in the pond could mean soap was added.

Halelorf
07-28-2008, 02:59 AM
I don't have a phosphate test but I'm still thinking it was soap. The surface isn't so foamy as it was a few days ago and one of the lily plants is looking a bit under the weather. It's going to become a fishless plant pond that my mom wanted since I don't have the heart to add anymore goldies into a potential death zone.

smaug
07-28-2008, 03:01 AM
Good luck with the lilys.Sorry again about your goldys.

GouramiGal
07-28-2008, 02:26 PM
That's a real shame. I'm sorry to hear about this.