PDA

View Full Version : Q about water storage / transfer pumps

Esquire
07-23-2008, 06:32 PM
I recently bought a Sunterra 1250 submersible pond pump ( Wallmart $89) to agitate my 2 - 32-gal NFS brute trash can water storage containers and to pump water to my tanks from them.
When I opened the box the plastic had a slight oily film on it which I'm sure will wash off. I then plane to pump a bunch of water through the pump to clean out any oil or other crap that may be in it or on it.

My question is, if you worry about your water container being food safe, NFS, no leaching of toxins, what about your pump?
I could not find any pumps with any ratings concerning it.
Of course I called the company and asked them if it was fish safe and they said it was, but when I asked them if it was NFS rated, they didn't know what I was talking about, so obviously it's not. None are.

I would think if you cleaned all the pump thorough it would be safe to pump to your aquarium, but I don't think I would be leaving the pump in the water storage tank for any length of time.

Any concerns about this?

Halelorf
07-24-2008, 02:03 AM
I have a powerhead running in my saltwater aquarium 24/7 and I use another to mix water for waterchanges in a bucket which sits in the water for a good day or two every week. I would be more concerned with oil residue from a new powerhead then leeching chemicals from the plastic. Although I can't say for sure it doesn't affect the tank. I've had a tank with a powerhead running for 10 years with no observable ill effects.

Dave66
07-24-2008, 05:26 AM
The oil is the mold release agent for the plastic case of the pump. If you wash the pump thoroughly with warm, soapy water (like dish soap) then rinse it until you can't smell any soap and your set. The dish soap breaks up the mold release agent.
Personally, I use large magnetic drive pumps to agitate and pump storage water as they don't add any detectible heat to the water.

Dave

Esquire
07-24-2008, 04:10 PM
I washed it all up and have run a bunch of fresh water through it and it seems good to go.
I still don't think I will leave it sitting in the water when it's not needed.

thks

Fishguy2727
07-24-2008, 09:42 PM
If it is safe for ponds it is completely safe for your fish, and safe to be left in the storage tubs all the time.