PDA

View Full Version : Goldfish caught in a lake

Boomer
07-23-2008, 04:29 PM
I started this thread over in introductions, as I am new here, but I am taking it over here to the goldfish enthusists.

So, I have a goldfish that my son caught in a lake in my backyard. It is really big, about 13" long. I have a photo posted in the "Boomer" photos section.

So far, I have put the fish in a 150 gal. high tank, with a mix of lake water, water from my other tanks, and new declorenated water. I have one Auqaclear 500, one Emperor biowheel 400, and one fluval 405 canister for filtration. I put in live plants and logs and large 1" gravel from my other tanks. Also one 12" bubble wand for additional air.

So far the fish is doing great, but I have a few questions:

He will nibble at a cucumber I put in the tank, but is not interested in goldfish pellets or shrimp pellets. The only other thing he will eat is dogfood. I know, not a good idea, but that is what my son caught him on, and I only put in 2 to 3 pieces a day. So, any ideas on what else to feed him?

How about the filtration, is it enough?

Given that he is 13" now, will he be ok in a 150 for his forever home?

Also, I am seeing long white strands, apx. 10" long, but only a couple of milimeters across, floating in the water. Any ideas what that is?

Thanks, and any recommendations or suggestions are welcome.

Billythefish
07-23-2008, 04:54 PM
How wide is the tank?
The filters are ample (imo)
White strands could be from it shedding its slime coat, haue you tryed sinking pellets?

Minderella83
07-23-2008, 06:06 PM
I didnt find any pic. Sorry. Good luck with the goldfish.

Mustang Boy
07-23-2008, 09:46 PM
i found the pic here is a link

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/fishpictures/showphoto.php?photo=7365&cat=500&ppuser=15437&sl=b

that is one big gold fish

W_Oz
07-23-2008, 09:51 PM
Wowzah! Who would have thought a lowly minnow could get so.... big? Nice catch!

smaug
07-23-2008, 09:56 PM
The long strands in the water is not likely a big deal,probably what billy stated.Try frozen food for him,there is a frozen krill that would be good for him just try little bits first to see if he eats it,too much will foul the water.150gal will be ok for him unless he gets alot bigger,resist the temptation to add any tank mates.A big goldy like that will create lots of waste and you will have to stay on your toes with 25-35% water changes and gravel vacuuming.The filtration will be sufficient,set the fluval up as a dedicated bio filter with lots of ceramic rings and bio stars.

pes142
07-23-2008, 11:55 PM
out of curiosity, how big of a lake is this. i am always leary when i hear of goldfish being caught out of a lake they are not native to.

Halelorf
07-24-2008, 02:06 AM
hopefully there is not a breeding population present in that lake as the result of some aquarists dumping their fish once they go too big for that 10 gallon starter kit.

Boomer
07-24-2008, 04:16 PM
Thanks Mustang Boy, for linking the photo. I have more photos of the big fish and some of my other fish at that link now.

Smaug, Thanks for the advice. I will try to find some frozen krill for him this weekend. I wouldn't add any other fish to that tank, I would be afraid they would become lunch.

Pes142 & Halelorf, The fish was caught in my backyard in a small subdivision only lake, and yes, I am sure he was a pet that was put into the lake . I am also concerned about a breeding population, as my son has seen 2 other goldfish in the lake this week. They are really bright orange, and you can see them as they swim close to the surface of the water. I am surprised they are surviving, as we have allot of heron, catfish, bass, turtles, and other wildlife that can get to them.

Red
07-24-2008, 05:59 PM
hey boomer where in IL? where i live there are goldfish too... and the goldfish would not eat anyhting else..

smaug
07-25-2008, 01:40 AM
Its fairly common around here to have big goldys is large ponds,I have never seen more then just a few .Its not a good idea to introduce such things to our waters but goldys never get out of control,,,,just BIG.