PDA

View Full Version : Forum rules update - READ THIS

William
07-22-2008, 04:42 PM
I new rule has been added to the forum rules.

The rule is:
"Respect other peoples way of doing things. This is fish keeping and there is always more than one "right" way to do things. Do not argue and try to make it seem like yours is the only "Right" way. Acknowledge that other methods that have been posted works as well when your post your way. If you think someone give erroneous advice, say so politely and then say why."

What this mean is that if you use and would like to recommend another method that you use. say that "that is one way of doing it but personally i prefer to" or "[Member name] told you about one way of doing it. Here is another that I use"

By doing this ( which only take a sec) and acknowledging other peoples methods the forum will become a nicer friendlier place for all of us. And I think all of us want a nice friendly forum.

Thanks for you time and for reading this post:1luvu:

angelcakes
07-22-2008, 04:45 PM
thank you........:19: :19: :19:

Billythefish
07-22-2008, 05:00 PM
:hmm3grin2orange: gilty lol

GouramiGal
07-22-2008, 05:10 PM
Thanks William!

sandy_n
07-22-2008, 05:15 PM
I totally agree.

oldhead
07-22-2008, 05:17 PM
Word. :27:

Ellen4God
07-22-2008, 05:27 PM
Great addition to the rules :)

Ryuu
07-22-2008, 06:04 PM
Great rule!

digital3
07-22-2008, 08:00 PM
I believe that that rule is basic forum etiquette... Respect everyone's opinions.

There are different people with different experiences AND different tank configurations here on the forum. Just because one does things one way, doesn't mean another method is incorrect.

I've observed in the past posts where several people state one opinion on something and someone comes on and says, "Well I don't think it's true because I'VE never had that problem... etc." I feel that if you find yourself against the curve (which happens, and there's nothing wrong with that), you should keep in mind that you may be dealing with a unique situation and state that as so. Because if things are working for YOU one way and it's working another way for everybody else you might want to think twice about passing the information on as a fact or as a "first-approach" method of doing things. Furthermore, if someone states a different opinion, don't take it as a direct attack on your opinion. I'm pretty sure most of the time, it's just a different opinion.... And that's it.

Of course, you can state that things are working different for you. That's what the forum is all about, finding new and different methods/approaches for our chosen hobby. But when one is new to the hobby, we want to give them the most popular approaches that will have a higher success rate and have been tried and tested by the majority of fish-keepers. We can then leave the unique situations for those with more experience, until it becomes commonplace. And what better place to see if your methods are being used and working by others than here on this great forum!

I don't know if you guys/gals know what I'm talking about, it's just something I've wanted to share, but didn't want to start a whole new thread about it. I thought this would be a good place to put this. Thanks for listening.

smaug
07-22-2008, 09:10 PM
I agree we should be polite as possible,but to actually make a rule for it seems like political correctness take another step further.Ill do my best,but Im not going with a form letter style of posting.

Evil Slimy
07-22-2008, 09:22 PM
Definitely a good rule, although the fact that it has to be a rule reflect badly on all of us.
My concern would be when someone gives downright incorrect information (ie stocking or tank size requirements). In those cases it doesn't seem right to just say 'that is one way of doing it, but I would do it differently'.

William
07-22-2008, 09:46 PM
Ill do my best,but Im not going with a form letter style of posting.
No one expect you to. I just gave a few examples of how it can be posted. The important part is that we stay polite to each other and avoid being too argumentative / confrontational towards other in posts.

Definitely a good rule, although the fact that it has to be a rule reflect badly on all of us. It is always good to have the rules expressed in text where they can be read. That way people can't say they didn't know they weren't allow to say or do something. This is true in this case as well even if I agree with Digital that this really is good forum etiquette. It should also be said that 99% of the members of the forum already stay polite and this rule shouldn't mean that they have to change their behavior at all.

My concern would be when someone gives downright incorrect information (ie stocking or tank size requirements). In those cases it doesn't seem right to just say 'that is one way of doing it, but I would do it differently'.
If you think it is downright wrong you don't have to say anything like that. In fact I am all for saying that you think it is wrong. The important part is to stay polite. That is why the rule also say "If you think someone give erroneous advice, say so politely and then say why

To all
Remember that the important part of this rule is to stay polite to each other and don't be overly confrontational towards other members. Not to have you use a certain format for the post. They can look and be formulate however you want as long as they are polite and show respect for other peoples posts and methods

Evil Slimy
07-22-2008, 09:48 PM
Sounds good. Thanks for the clarification :)

smaug
07-22-2008, 11:23 PM
I agree,thx for clarifying.

Billythefish
07-22-2008, 11:47 PM
William: just a idea, i think it would be a good idea to have a adult only part of the forum so adults can be adults and say what thay think rather than having to be like kids that follow thease rules all the time.. Its getting verry hard to have a conversation with people without braking one of the many rules.. Do you get me its just seems to me that im not being able to dissagree with people ever for fear of being banned!.. And seems that this site is now aiming at childrens wants and needs.. And limiting adults needs. Anyway its just how I see it what ya think?

Lady Hobbs
07-23-2008, 12:01 AM
Like most forums, this one is not divided into adult and juvenile groups and I know of no other forum that is. How does one verify the age of people? This is a community forum....plain and simple.....as the name Aquatic Community Forum so states. A family forum. And even if it was an all adult forum, rules to remain calm and discuss things in an adult manner would still be in place.

The minute you get into "no holds barred" conversations and people can talk as they want without rules in place is the minute you loose 3/4 of your membership. Most of our membership are people who belonged to other forums and got tired of the fighting and bickering there and why they have picked and remained here at AC.

Billythefish
07-23-2008, 12:09 AM
Like most forums, this one is not divided into adult and juvenile groups and I know of no other forum that is. How does one verify the age of people? This is a community forum....plain and simple.....as the name Aquatic Community Forum so states. A family forum. And even if it was an all adult forum, rules to remain calm and discuss things in an adult manner would still be in place.

The minute you get into "no holds barred" conversations and people can talk as they want without rules in place is the minute you loose 3/4 of your membership. Most of our membership are people who belonged to other forums and got tired of the fighting and bickering there and why they have picked and remained here at AC.
I get what your saying hobbs and i can agree.. But im not asking to divide kids and adults i just want a part of the site were adults can have a adult conversation.. Not no rules at all but less of the kined that limit what you can say or talk about ya know... And hay we all have to register so mabe d.o.b would help with knowing peoples age ect

robnepper
07-23-2008, 12:18 AM
Good call William. I believe that people should always approach other opinions with both respect and humility. We often lack the latter and would do well to humble ourselves. Being right shouldn't have to deflate others.

thank you.

Lady Hobbs
07-23-2008, 12:19 AM
No one is keeping anyone from having an adult conversation. Does talking to adults mean no respect needs to be shown to each other? That's all William has asked of everyone here. Why is it that people can't discuss Tropical Fish without arguing?

Williams rule here is not a new one but more of a reminder of the rules we've always had here and as digital3 states, it's really what the forum etiquette thread says.

Billythefish
07-23-2008, 12:27 AM
No one is keeping anyone from having an adult conversation. Does talking to adults mean no respect needs to be shown to each other? That's all William has asked of everyone here. Why is it that people can't discuss Tropical Fish without arguing?

Williams rule here is not a new one but more of a reminder of the rules we've always had here and as digital3 states, it's really what the forum etiquette thread says.
Ok hobbs it was just a idea and i thougt i would see if anyone else give a damn but as always im the one who sticks his neck out and has it choped off, whatever whatever :laugh1blue:

Ocellaris
07-23-2008, 01:09 AM
How about a PG 13+ forum? LOL, JK

I think I know what Billy means, "respect" isn't so much the issue as content and context. Where it's not really racy, but where pre-teens whose parents might see something and get upset by a post they'll see.

gm72
07-23-2008, 01:26 AM
People just need to remember to be patient and polite. That's not to say we are going to be argument-free, but there is a right and wrong way to do things. Example:

WRONG way:
Poster 1--I am keeping (fish x and incompatible fish y) in a (too small of a tank) for 3 years now and I am noticing that my nitrItes and ammonia are starting to peak. Does anyone know what is going on?
Poster 2--Dude, what are you thinking? You can't keep those fish together and you have them in too small of a tank. No wonder you're having problems. Why are you even keeping fish?
In this example, Poster 2 gets a PM from a Mod and Poster 1 also if he/she retaliates.

RIGHT way:
Poster 1--(same post as above)
Poster 2--You are having water parameter issues because your fish are in too small of a tank. Although you have kept them in there for years, it is likely that they are growing to the size where successfully keeping them in the tank is going to be impossible. You really need at least (appropriate tank size). I also noticed that you are keeping (fish x and incompatible fish y) together. Please do some research and you will find that these 2 fish can not typically coexist peacefully. They will likely need to be separated in time.
Ahhhh, good job. There we go!

Now, on top of all of that, everyone needs to remember that we Mods are here to do a job. We are not egomaniacs and don't get any kind of "power trip" when we have to intervene. Actually the feeling is quite the opposite, at least for me. I end up feeling disappointed in members because they weren't able to work things out without having us intervene.

So, to that end, when things start heating up, shut it down yourselves. Just stop posting replies. Someone calls you a jerk or something in the open forum? Don't react, just PM a Mod and we'll handle it for you. For those of you familiar with just about any team sport, when a fight starts it is usually the guy/gal who retaliates, NOT the one who started it that ends up in trouble. If things get really over the top, all of the people get in trouble. I can't even tell you how many times I have heard "You're giving me a warning but he started it!" Come on, seriously. We treat everyone the same.

Sort of off-topic, but sort of not. Thanks for your time.

digital3
07-23-2008, 01:35 AM
I think the theme I see in the "rules" doesn't have as much to do with kids then it has to do with setting guidelines for a forum that is accessed by different, ages, cultures, and genders. Ultimately, I feel the goal is to have a community of enthusiasts, in a relaxed and comfortable environment, who can share their passions and love for their hobby with those who can understand what those passions are about. I don't know about you guys, but when I start talking to most people outside of here about fish, I begin to see the eyes glazing over.

Ultimately, I think that the solution to the problem may not be having an "Adults Only" section, but that we all ensure that we act like adults. That goes for the younger members also. And I think for the most part, everybody here does that. But when issues come up (and they will), they need to be addressed. That's what William and the mods are for. Making sure that this forum remains accessible to EVERYONE. That's why the "Members Only" section never worked in my opinion.

Boertjie
07-23-2008, 01:01 PM
Very good rule!! Thanks.

Tolley
07-23-2008, 01:04 PM
From the view of a 13 year old, i wouldn't really like a forum where i was viewed as not being mature enough to have an adult conversation.

So thats why we don't have that here. Great new rule William, Keep it up! :19:

gm72
07-23-2008, 10:18 PM
Tolley, great point. We do have some young members here who are great contributors. Unfortunately there are a few who come through every now and then to spoil the party. Again though, that's why the Mods are here--to help you out!