View Full Version : Problem, How can I?

12-18-2006, 01:42 PM
Hi all!

My problem is that a mouse drank water from my main tank infecting it with who knows how many bacterias. The outcome: fish with fin rot, columnaris, and who knows. They are dropping like flies.

I did not have any of these problems until then. It has been three weeks of desperation trying to find solutions to treat these diseases.

I set up two hospital tanks and either way the fish die. In fact, they die faster in the hosp. tank than in the main tank.

How can I kill the bacterias swimming in the water w/o killing the bio filter and the fish in the process? I already have a cheap uv system and does nothing.

Any advice, suggestion, comment or experience will be appreciated!


Danny M
12-18-2006, 04:17 PM
I've had same problem: I mean not the mouse drinking from the tank, but, I also fought with some strange illness I couldn't identify. Tried different meds without success.
Problem is, that you cannot know for sure what disease you are dealing with... Could be a bacteria (gram-positive or gram-negative: different meds for each "sort"), could be a fungus, a virus, or even some parasites. For me it worked with Malachite green, combined with Formaline. This combo is sold in my area as Malachite green Forte, and it is effective against many strains of bacteria, fungi, and parasites.
Be careful, though, the formaline is toxic for some aquarium plants! If your aquarium is planted, use this only in QT!
But: this worked for me, try asking others before starting the treatment with this. Another option would be to use the malachite green without the formaline, but is not so effective.
I wish I could help you more.