PDA

View Full Version : Gold fish question

funnyfish
07-21-2008, 08:58 PM
I have 2 comet gold fish they are about 3 1/2 inches and one is a tiny bit smaller One is VERY orange and had alittle brown on the ends of his fins the other is like a sliver color...... The are Dodge and Magnum LOL.... Anyhow my question is they have plenty of room right now in the 10 gallon and they may poss be moved to a outside pond or at least a way bigger tank as they get bigger But on to me question again they are always bumping each other and chasing each other one is not more so than the other they both do it... They always want to be next the other and they dont stray far away from the others side ever.... So I am just wondering about this picking behavior are they planning mating fighting?

Fishalicious
07-21-2008, 09:09 PM
I have two adopted comets at the moment that came from a cramped 5 gallon tank and are now swimming in a 120 gallon tank for their holidays LOL They have both grown a record 2 inches each in the past 4 weeks I have had them...

But on your question...these two stick to each other like glue even with all the room of the 120 Gallon...I think they just always like being together and it is not really a mating or fighting issue..more a company thing.

Ty
07-21-2008, 10:23 PM
All of my gold fish in my 75 gallon goldfish tank do the same. We even put some goldfish (5 inch commets) into a 500+ gallon pond, and they woudl all swim around together, and they all hid under the same plants.

Its just what goldfish do.

smaug
07-21-2008, 10:27 PM
Goldys like company,all my comets in the pond are that way.

Fishguy2727
07-21-2008, 10:51 PM
They are a schooling fish and like the company of other goldfish. Ideally they are in a school of at least 6.

I highly recommend that you upgrade as soon as possible. It may not seem like they NEED it now, but bigger is always better. Most likely they will be stunted before it is obvious that they NEED an upgrade.

Check out the article I wrote on goldfish in the goldfish section of this section.

funnyfish
07-21-2008, 11:11 PM
I plan on upgrading soon but like I said they have a ton of room right now I know not for long but for a little longer they have alot of room and right now i am doing 2-3 20% wc a week to make sure they stay clean and happy and so far no issues
This has beed the entire start of fish keeping for my family my son won a comet goldfish at the fair and we went to petsmart not knowing anything about fish at all and they recommened a 2.5 gallon tank Bad advice one
then after a bit of having him he seemed to look at his reflection in the side and follow it all the time so I went to petsmart ( still knowing nothing about this fish and fish in general so believed what I was told at Petsmart ) asked why he would do this and of course was told he needed a friend.... LOL
So I showed them what tank I had and they said thats gret for now but with 2 you will need to upgrade in a month or so.....So off we go with 2 gold fish in a 2 1/2 gallon tank then they started to grow very fast so I bought they suggested 10 gallon.... Now is when you all ( ac community ) stepped in Then AHHHHHH I see the light and all the bad info I was given by the past Petsmart people and here we are 2 Goldfish that my 6 year son loves so much so now I am doing the very best I can and trying to give them the best place to live I can seeings how now they are growning and seem very happy I dont want to change their lives to much..... So like i said as they grow I am thinking of an outside pond, I live in so cali so weather is not an issue...

Any ideas on why such a big color diff? I thought all gold fish ( comet ) are orange.

By the way sorry so long.....

Fishguy2727
07-21-2008, 11:29 PM
Color varies a lot and will change in time. They almost always lose black unless they are in a pond and get a lot of sunlight. They frequently end up losing everything and are just white.

They actually cannot see their own reflection in the glass. That is an optical illusion to us since we are looking from the OUTSIDE at a pane that is perpendicular to the one we are looking in through. They just see outside of the tank. So unless it has mirrored sides, it just sees out the same way we do when looking straight through the tank.

Ty
07-21-2008, 11:57 PM
My commet was a dull grey when I got him, and is now a very bright orange.

funnyfish
07-24-2008, 03:46 AM
So just a little update I had a air thing in the goldfish home it was on the side the never went on it was a skelton that the air poped open the coffen I am sure you all know what I am talking about well today I took that out to change to a nice river thing anyways it has softer bubbles of air and now they are all over the tank they are still side by side but they are everywhere now.

Gemstone
07-24-2008, 05:25 AM
:hmm3grin2orange: your fish seem happy for now...and I can see that you care for them and want the best for them....good goin...:19:

funnyfish
07-24-2008, 05:48 AM
Thank you I just seen how many spelling mistakes I made I was really excited to tell you all the good news