PDA

View Full Version : Question for all the Betta people.....

funnyfish
07-21-2008, 07:34 PM
I see some people have bettas mixed with other fish and other people say no way.... I think they are beautiful and would love to have 1 and dont know if its poss....

I have a 55 gallon
temp 78-80
1 african dwarf frog
1 pleco
2 snails
2 dwarf gouramis
3 tux platys
2 MM platys
3 guppies
So my question is is this poss or not a good idea?

Red
07-21-2008, 07:41 PM
IMO i think you would be fine with a female but a male might attack the platys buy its worth a try...

angelcakes
07-21-2008, 07:47 PM
I see some people have bettas mixed with other fish and other people say no way.... I think they are beautiful and would love to have 1 and dont know if its poss....

I have a 55 gallon
temp 78-80
1 african dwarf frog
1 pleco
2 snails
2 dwarf gouramis
3 tux platys
2 MM platys
3 guppies
bettas with guppies are not good also the frog is not good(eat the fins) plecos ok,platys maybe also gouramis maybe,snails ok,your temp is good

funnyfish
07-21-2008, 09:02 PM
Thank you all for the advice I just love this site so many people willing to help

DragonGoby
07-22-2008, 01:36 PM
The problem with betta is not that they're betta... it's that their level of aggressiveness depend on their character.... If you have a mean one, no matter what type of fish you'll put with him, he'll try to beat them or kill them in the end... And if you have a mellow one, no matter what, he'll be sweat...

On the other hand, you can have trouble not with the betta but with some fin nipper... the frog perhaps.
You can have trouble with the gouramis too and the platies...

what I would do if I were you is trying a male betta (or a female, your choice) but buy another tank, like a 5 gal, to put the betta there in case it'll go wrong in the main tank.

Best of luck and keep us informed!

funnyfish
07-22-2008, 08:56 PM
Thank you all for all your help..... I am going to think about it for awhile but I will let you all know..

pes142
07-23-2008, 01:19 PM
I have a betta in a tank with platys and guppies and it does fine. it is more up to the betta than up to logic. As was said before a peaceful betta will be fine, but an aggressive betta could be bad. If you get one, get as small a betta as you can, as the younger they are, the less likely they are to be very aggressive.

mac
07-24-2008, 09:24 AM
Hi,

The problem with betta is not that they're betta... it's that their level of aggressiveness depend on their character.... If you have a mean one, no matter what type of fish you'll put with him, he'll try to beat them or kill them in the end... And if you have a mellow one, no matter what, he'll be sweat...

On the other hand, you can have trouble not with the betta but with some fin nipper... the frog perhaps.

what I would do if I were you is trying a male betta (or a female, your choice) but buy another tank, like a 5 gal, to put the betta there in case it'll go wrong in the main tank.

I have had Betters for quite some time. Both male and female.
My male went ferrel after sometime. He was wonderful with my Rainbows, Rasboras, Guppies, Neons, Corys, Pencil fish, Loaches.
The only trouble I had with him was,, when he got to eat abatch of Guppy fry. That was that. He comences killing anything that he could kill.
I would say try a Betta, but watch you frogs.
Personally I would go Female since there should be no problems with your fish.
But like DragonGoby said keep a eye on things, with the Betta and his tank mates, but also have a spare tank just incase.
Hope this helps,
macquatic

Jacko
07-24-2008, 07:46 PM
Like dragonfly said, it all depends on the temperment of the betta you get. I've had bettas before that would tear apart anything, shrimp, snails or little tetras while I currently have some male bettas that are so docile I can keep them together without issues.

In my different tanks, I have bettas with barbs, tetras, pencilfish, apistos, loaches, snails, shrimp, cories and guppies without issue.

NikkiGeezy
07-24-2008, 07:53 PM
I tried to put my betta in with my community fish, she didnt like it. She stayed flared in the corner. My mollies picked on her. I say if you try it, just keep a real close eye on your fish and how they act. (run-on sentence)

greatXpectations
07-24-2008, 08:12 PM

Yea, they have lots of varied personality! My male betta is in my Tetra tank - see sig - and he is just fine. I hand feed him Hakari pellets, and flakes for the rest. He knows where in the tank to be when its feeding time!

Just keep a close eye on everyone for the first day to see if there will be any fighting

funnyfish
07-24-2008, 08:18 PM
Well thank you all so much for all your help and comments I am not sure if I am going to get a betta yet but if I do I am going to take all your advice. Thank you all so much.

jd6405
07-25-2008, 01:46 AM
Just from my personal experience, I have a male betta in my 30 gal community and also have two sunset gouramis in there. The Gouramis have been picking on my betta something fiece to the point where his tail fins are getting nasty looking, so I am in the process of seperating him from the community. It all really depends on the betta. GL!

I have a 55 gallon
temp 78-80
1 african dwarf frog
1 pleco
2 snails
2 dwarf gouramis
3 tux platys
2 MM platys
3 guppies

Gemini
07-25-2008, 02:33 AM
I tried my betta with the community tank and he got harassed no end by the gourami. Had to separate them.

GouramiGal
07-25-2008, 02:59 AM
In my experience, gouramis and bettas don't play nice together.

Jacko
07-25-2008, 05:28 PM
To go against the flow here, I've had barely any issues with gourami and bettas, only once did I ever have problems and that was with a territorial betta and 2 honey gouramies in a 10 gallon tank. Poor honey gouramies :scry:
Another 10 gallon (years ago, before I knew better than to keep a paradise in such a small tank) I had a paradisefish and very docile betta in the same tank without problem, then I left the lid open and the paradise jumped out.

I've had males in with large male gold gouramies with the only issue of food, they got territorial during feeding time. My rams and the gold gourami had more fights than the gourami and bettas.

But again, it all depends on the individual betta. Try to remember, bettas aren't as vicious as they once were, the name "Siamese Fighting Fish" has practically been bred out of them since people started going for looks rather than aggressiveness.

ehjsne
08-08-2008, 12:29 AM
I think a female betta will do good as long as none of your guppies are have colourful fins. And same with the platys.

Hailey
08-09-2008, 02:16 AM
i think if you wanted to get a betta, you should get it its own tank. 2.5 gallons at the very least. I have two betta tanks and thier fun to have around the house. And thier not that expensive to buy.

labnjab
08-09-2008, 04:32 AM
i keep my male in a separate 10 gal, but my female is is a 30 community and she is the most betta I've seen. She often schools with the cories, and even hangs out with the angel fish. She has never been aggressive and nothing has been aggressive towards her.