PDA

View Full Version : A type of hair algae has appeared!

Fluke
07-21-2008, 06:12 PM
At the begining of the summer I had to move to a new state and of course my 10gallon planted had to come with me (didn't have anyone to entrust it too). Since I've been here I've had this new algae appear on my plant's leaves... this is a grey hair algae or sorts. This is new to me since the 4 months before the move this aquarium has seemed happy with only green algae on my glass and some diatom at the start :) I don't know what's causing it or how to fix it. Could I get some pointers?

Stats:
- 10g glass aquarium
- Aquaclear 20 without carbon; just sponges
- Flourite substrate
- 2 20w compact fluorescent daylight bulbs that are on for 7hours (I'm currently experimenting with how long because in my current location I get slight indirect light)
- DIY CO2 through the filter
- Plants: Anubias nana, java moss, java fern, amazon sword, rotala roundifolia, potmogeton gati, didiplis diandra, frill foxtail, red foxtail, and ludwigia peruensis.
- Fish: 5 neon tetras and a otocinclus. Plus snails if you count those.
- Temp: 77-79
- PH: 6.5
- GH: 120ppm (mg/L)
- KH: 120-180ppm (mg/L)
- NO2: 0
- NO3: 0

Everything has been weird since I moved here... the temp has been a little higher than normal and my PH dipped .5 due to changes in water I'll wager.

I dose with Flourish (I accidentally picked up the non-excel kind... should I swap to excel?) weekly and again on the weekly water changes. Otherwise there's nothing special.

I've been feeling along with my tank so far mostly on my own using this forum and some other places to learn. This is my first time asking a question so hopefully I'm doing it right. HI! :)

Edit: Camera is being silly at the moment or I would add pictures :(

Incredulous_Ed
07-21-2008, 06:18 PM
Does it happen to be hair algae, or Beard algae? Do a search on google images to see which one.

Fluke
07-21-2008, 06:39 PM
I'm sure it's not beard althought I'm not certain it's a type of hair either. It looks most like a hair though.

I found this picture on the internet that looks similar to what I have. The only difference is that mine doesn't "branch" like this. It's the same color and look though.

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm156/paddlefootwolf/freshwater_algae_13.jpg

Incredulous_Ed
07-21-2008, 06:42 PM
That pic link doesnt work.

Fluke
07-21-2008, 06:46 PM
Sorry! I fixed it.

Incredulous_Ed
07-21-2008, 07:24 PM
I say it looks alot like beard algae. It really hard to take off the plants?

PUNISHER VETTE
07-21-2008, 10:16 PM
could be high phosphates.....you might check for that.

Fluke
07-22-2008, 04:49 PM
Yeah it's nearly impossible to get off... generally the little hairs will end up snapping at the base if I try. And I'll look into phosphates!

PUNISHER VETTE
07-22-2008, 07:26 PM
Yeah it's nearly impossible to get off... generally the little hairs will end up snapping at the base if I try. And I'll look into phosphates!

I only suggested that because i am also developing a brush algae problem and i know for a fact i have high phosphates and that they can sometimes be a cause.

abaigael04
07-23-2008, 04:00 PM
You can easily buy a phosphate remover if that is your problem - it was mine and my problem is now solved!