PDA

View Full Version : what to feed my buddies

Brandi
12-18-2006, 05:24 AM
Hey guys... I am just wondering if anyone could give me some pointers on what else I could try feeding my oscars.... right now they are just eating pellets and the odd fish, I heard you can feed them grapes, raw meat, all sorts of stuff... any suggestions??? anything can help I like to give my fish variety!!!! Thanks anyone who can help me!

kimmers318
12-18-2006, 12:23 PM
Check out the freezer at your local petstore, they should have a good variety of frozen foods for large cichlids....ours love the beefheart and cichlid delite. There are also several different types of pellets, flakes and dried krill that are for sale they should gobble up. We haven't given ours any raw meat....that usually goes to the dogs:dog: .

Also, be cautious about feeding feeder fish from a petstore, they are kept in horrible conditions and have a tendency to be sickly themselves or be carrying diseases you can introduce to your oscars. The best suggestions are to quarantine or raise your own feeders. The one time I bought a batch of feeder guppies from a fairly good petstore and quarantined them they all died before making it out of quarantine! Imagine if we had fed them to the oscars.

TehTANK
12-18-2006, 01:29 PM
I have 2 Oscars and they are my pride and joys. I love them like my own children. There are a lot of posts on here about what to feed oscars. You might want to do a search. I did just buy some frozen blood worms for the first time for my oscars though and they love them. The local fish store will have a freezer full of goodies for oscars and what not. I am going to try the beefhearts next I think. Anyway, good luck.

Hey post some pictures of your oscars. I love to see other peoples oscars and it doesn't seem like there is to many on this site.

Fishguy2727
12-18-2006, 03:50 PM
The best diet is just high quality pellets. Read through these and see what you think. I would do New Life Spectrum and Hikari Cichlid Bio-Gold+.

Diet (http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=2562)

Hole in the Head (http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=2378)

Severus
12-19-2006, 04:19 AM
i tried feeding my oscar beefheart before and it was a mess. he tore at it and it wasnt really worth it for the little bit of nutrition he got from it. I usually feed him a good quality staple pellet( bio gold + like reptileguy said) and some fozen brine and occasional peas and assorted vegetables.

Brandi
12-19-2006, 06:23 AM
thanks guys... this is really helping... I will get a picture on here of my two buddies as soon as possible... thanks again!!!

Brandi
12-19-2006, 06:33 AM
hey someone asked me to put up a pic because not many ppl have pics of thier oscars... hopefully this one works.... as they get bigger I will update the pictures!!

kimmers318
12-19-2006, 12:35 PM
Don't see a pic.

jeffs99dime
12-19-2006, 02:32 PM
i don't see the pics either

Severus
12-19-2006, 03:47 PM
Neither do i. Did you try and post an attachment?

Brandi
12-19-2006, 09:09 PM
That is wierd I see the pics on my computer on here, I wonder what's up... ok well I will try again later... check my profile... the pic is on there too!

jeffs99dime
12-19-2006, 10:30 PM
the pic in your avatar is in your profile but not in the post

Severus
12-20-2006, 04:36 AM
Judging from your avatar, you oscars look very nice

hinglesaquarium
12-31-2006, 06:40 AM
hey i feed my oscar canaloap shrimp frome frozen shrimp ring he loves shrimp the most but he will eat liver he dont like blood worms tho and apples to almost any frute i found he would eat