PDA

View Full Version : ocellaris hosting with bubble tip?

snapdragon9
07-21-2008, 03:53 PM
As you will find anywhere on the web, you will find contradicting reports on any question you have. My question is: Will an ocellaris host with a bubble tip? Because I have heard that some will never host and that I should get a tomato or maroon instead. Although others state that the ocellaris can. I have recently got my bubble and was just wondering from those that have had ocellaris and bubbles; how long has it taken for the clown to host?

ILuvMyGoldBarb
07-21-2008, 04:07 PM
My pair has never hosted in an anemone. The fact is, in the wild, an ocellaris will never host in a Bubble Tip simply because they do not inhabit the same waters. Normally they will host but clowns are funny. They will host in a number of different things, I have seen them in Torchs, Frogspawn, Anemones, Red Macro Algae, a number of different leathers,and mine has hosted in a cave. It can take quite a while sometimes. I've read that sometimes people will tape a small picture of clowns hosting in an anemone to the side of the tank and within couple of days their clowns hosted. Personally, that didn't work for mine. It is completely random, it is up to the individual specimen. As for the Tomato or the Maroon clowns hosting better, that may be, but both species are far more aggressive than the Ocellaris. So like I said, they may choose something else in the tank to host in or they may take to the BTA, it will be completely up to your individual fish what they do.

snapdragon9
07-21-2008, 05:10 PM
Thanks for the reply, lets hope he does...he needs a friend!! Is the fact that if the ocellaris is tank raised he will not host as well, or is the ultimate answer still point to randomness?

ILuvMyGoldBarb
07-21-2008, 07:12 PM
My understanding is that it is still an individual specimen thing, however captive bred specimens are a bit less likely to host than wild ones.