PDA

View Full Version : Strange Betta Behaviour

katiek
12-18-2006, 05:02 AM
Hi! new to the forum...and i have a concern for my betta

everytime i change the water, once he is in the new water he acts very strangely...floating around, swimming oddly, trying to fight with the walls of the bowl etc...i'm just concerned that hes going to hurt himself...

f1oored
12-18-2006, 05:44 AM
Acting a little out of sorts after a water change isn't overly strange. If he seems stressed you might check your tap to make sure it's ok. Are you letting the water adjust to room temp before putting him back? Are you using a stress coat additive? Also, how often are you doing changes?

katiek
12-18-2006, 06:06 AM
i make sure the water is at room temp, i use a conditioner and i change the water completely every 5 days or so

f1oored
12-18-2006, 07:36 AM
Sometimes tap water can have high nitrates. Did you check the parameters of the tap, check for PH, nitrites, and nitrates.

Danny M
12-18-2006, 09:16 AM
i make sure the water is at room temp, i use a conditioner and i change the water completely every 5 days or so
Do not change the water completely! Only, let's say, half of it maximum, once a week. I hope you're not washing the bowl, gravel and decorations (I've heared so many new aquarists doing that when changing water).
So, changing only a part of the water is less stressfull to your fish.

f1oored
12-18-2006, 09:31 AM
If we are talking about a small filtered tank you are correct.

However, its a little different with a betta bowl. You really aren't going to have a one gallon bowl without filtration cycle. Most people will do full water changes and clean everything then try to acclimate the fish to the new water before just dumping him back into the bowl. A one gallon tank gets too dirty in a week to keep any of the water. And with stagnant water the beneficial bacteria will probably not grow so keeping part of the high ammonia water isn't going to be helpful.

katiek
12-24-2006, 03:05 AM
i have a bowl, i never wash the plant and stones...should i change the water half way twice or three times a week rather than doing a whole change twice a week?

katiek
12-24-2006, 03:09 AM
oh, another thing...i had to treat my betta for popeye and his eye got better, but its dtill bigger than the other one...normal or not?

Nautilus291
12-24-2006, 03:12 AM
Maybe you should try doing what you do when you buy a new fish. Put him in a bag or container with his old water and then let him float in the new water for awhile and slowly add some of the new water to your bag. Maybe this will help him readjust

jman
12-24-2006, 05:02 AM
Just wanted to say welcome to the forum!

Incredulous_Ed
12-24-2006, 05:18 AM
Maybe you should try doing what you do when you buy a new fish. Put him in a bag or container with his old water and then let him float in the new water for awhile and slowly add some of the new water to your bag. Maybe this will help him readjust
This is quite true. that is good advice gcnadam29!

jman
12-24-2006, 05:19 AM
This is quite true. that is good advice gcnadam29!

Iv'e used this technique and it's worked before!