PDA

View Full Version : Green Spotted Puffer

squirt_12
07-20-2008, 10:17 PM
I am thinking of getting a Green Spotted Puffer (GSP). I have been doing research on them about the salinity levels and such but I also have a few questions.

1) Since the salinity will get higher and higher over time, what kind of crustaceans can I have in the tank for the GSP beak?

2) What all can they eat? I know they will eat, blood worms, brine shrimp, flakes, crustaceans, mollusks, fish, ghost shrimp, crabs. They mostly like meaty foods and need some vegetation right?

3) How much flow do they like in the tank?

4) In which way should I set-up their tank? Do they like rock work or some plants? I know that they will eventually be lower end SW so I didn't know if that meant they liked rock work or what?

Also, some other tips or suggestions. Thanks!

kaybee
07-20-2008, 10:34 PM
Since the salinity will get higher and higher over time, what kind of crustaceans can I have in the tank for the GSP beak?

I'm not sure I fully understand the question. Are you asking what crustaceans can coexist with them until they're eaten?

If so: live crustaceans meant as food typically won't survive long enough to become adversely affected by inappropriate salinity levels, especially when dealing with larger GSPs (which can dismantle a crayfish in moments).

What all can they eat? I know they will eat, blood worms, brine shrimp, flakes, crustaceans, mollusks, fish, ghost shrimp, crabs. They mostly like meaty foods and need some vegetation right?

Veggies not really required. Many won't recognize flakes as food.

The bulk of their ideal diet will be composed of crustaceans (in shell if possible to assist in dulling their ever-growing beak) & mollusks (also in shell if possible, for the same reason).

Fish, blood worms and brine shrimp are more treats than anything else.

Being specialized carnivores, no direct feeding of 'vegetation' is required. They eat organisms which eat plant matter.

How much flow do they like in the tank?

Decent flow is good. You don't want a stagnant tank or one with so much flow that it interfares with their swimming.

In which way should I set-up their tank? Do they like rock work or some plants? I know that they will eventually be lower end SW so I didn't know if that meant they liked rock work or what?

They can be acclimated to full marine conditions. Live rock (when salinity is at least 1.018) and/or plastic decorations will work. They're fairly intelligent and seem to need objects in their tank to explore to satisfy their innate curiosity.

Billythefish
07-20-2008, 10:35 PM
Hay dude my (gsp) loves snails meal worms ghost shrimp.. He dont seem to go for veg at all, you need to go brakish as you know and doing it over a space of time is best by adding more salt when doing water changes, keep him on his own is best (imo), when you go buy one dont let the lfs staff net it as it could inhale to much air and do damage to its internel orgens.. Get them to bag it in the water why its submerged and do the same to set it free in your tank, snails and other shelled foods will keep its beak in good shape, i have some rocks in my tank and he lives in them at night, good luck dude thay are verry cool fish and verry clever too.

Oh and get your self some chop sticks as (gsp) will take food from you in this way.

squirt_12
07-21-2008, 12:19 AM
Since the salinity will get higher and higher over time, what kind of crustaceans can I have in the tank for the GSP beak?

I'm not sure I fully understand the question. Are you asking what crustaceans can coexist with them until they're eaten?

If so: live crustaceans meant as food typically won't survive long enough to become adversely affected by inappropriate salinity levels, especially when dealing with larger GSPs (which can dismantle a crayfish in moments).

Well I didn't know if something would live in those conditions for a while or not. When I had my Dwarf Puffers, a would throw in a few FW snails and they would last for about a week before the puffers completly destroyed them. But GPSs are much bigger so they would eat the snail much faster.

With the water flow, I wasn't sure since they could be adapted to marine conditions and in those conditions there is usually a higher rate of water turnover. So I wasn't sure if they wanted more flow or not.

Thanks for all of the help kaybee and Billythefish. You both really cleared things up for me. thumbs2:

kaybee
07-23-2008, 03:05 AM
...When I had my Dwarf Puffers, a would throw in a few FW snails and they would last for about a week before the puffers completly destroyed them. But GPSs are much bigger so they would eat the snail much faster...

Yes much faster, they eat the snails as soon as I add them to the tank.