PDA

View Full Version : pH and Pleco

nwnittany
07-20-2008, 06:59 PM
I'm slowly stocking a new, cycled, planted 45 tall. I picked up a very young albino bristlenose pleco yesterday and went through the normal process to introduce him into the tank (ie, floated to acclimate the temperature, slowly added water to the bag, etc).

I've read that pleco's prefer acidic to neutral water. Normally not a problem for me, since our water normally comes out of the tap at 7.0. But they must be adding some treatments because it's been coming out at 7.4-7.6 lately. And, my tank is roughly at the same pH.

I've also read that a stable pH is just as (or more) important than any particular measurement.

My question is, should I treat the tank to get the pH lower ? I have some pH neutral from seachem that is supposed to raise or lower the pH to a neutral 7.0.

You can see the other critters in my sig. Water quality is great and the temp is 78).

Any advice ?

ILuvMyGoldBarb
07-20-2008, 07:01 PM
Don't worry about it. As you mentioned, fish prefer the stable pH. Hitting at target pH is not really that important for most fish. You only need to start trying to hit a target pH if you are dealing with certain wild caught fish.

Ichthyologist
07-20-2008, 07:07 PM
According to the other critters in your tank, you couldn't go wrong with a PH of 7.0 most places i've been to sell a 7.0 buffer that you add periodically or at water changes

smaug
07-20-2008, 08:04 PM
You will be fine,plecos are tolerant of ph.Stay away from the 7.0 buffer it contains phosphate and will cause other trouble.

Billythefish
07-20-2008, 08:25 PM
You will be fine,plecos are tolerant of ph.Stay away from the 7.0 buffer it contains phosphate and will cause other trouble.
I second that !

nwnittany
07-20-2008, 08:33 PM
Ok, sounds good. I'll give it a go with the pH as it is.

Thanks, gang. I'll keep ya posted on the little bugger. I had a choice between a more-grown one and one from the baby tank and went with the little one so my kids could see it grow. Fingers crossed !

Billythefish
07-20-2008, 08:40 PM
Ok, sounds good. I'll give it a go with the pH as it is.

Thanks, gang. I'll keep ya posted on the little bugger. I had a choice between a more-grown one and one from the baby tank and went with the little one so my kids could see it grow. Fingers crossed !
Lol good luck!