PDA

View Full Version : White fuzz

donb1959
12-18-2006, 02:36 AM
I have one fish in the tank taht has a white substance, looks like fuzz, it's not ick because it's not "salt like", does anyone know what this is and how to treat it?

Fishguy2727
12-18-2006, 02:57 AM
Fungus. Pimafix. What type of fish? Remeber that there are two things required for diseases, the presence of the disease itself and a stressor to the fish to impede its immune system. So treat for the disease and find the stressor. This could be just something to do with water parameters (pH, ammonia, temp, etc.), aggressive fish, improper diet, etc.

donb1959
12-18-2006, 03:02 AM
It's a Tetra. As far as I can see no others have been infected. Conditions had gotton bad in the tank before I cleaned it last night. I did a 80% water change and cleaned every thing real well, but I thin that the previous tank conditions as well as the water change etc may have brought this on. So I think I've cured the problem.

Now I have been reading and some suggest that it be treated with freshwater salt, others say the chemicals are the way to go, I want to do what others have successfully done before, so what's the best treatment, and what's the process of treatment?

Thanks so much for the help.

Fishguy2727
12-18-2006, 03:18 AM
Pimafix is a treatment that is all natural. It is effective, but some cases require further treatment including chemicals. I do not use salt because it can be an irritant to most freshwater fish. A rise in temperature can also help the fungus past faster because it speeds up the life cycle, which means it dies faster and the treatment helps keep it from keeping its hold.

donb1959
12-18-2006, 07:40 PM
Ok,
Just treated the tank with Pimafix for the fungus. 2 tsp per 10 gal. The directions say treat for 7 days? Will let you guys know how it goes. Thanks.

jeffs99dime
12-18-2006, 08:06 PM
make sure to remove any carbon you might have. as this will remove the meds.

donb1959
12-22-2006, 07:49 PM
This is the 5th day of treatment with PimaFix. The fungus is still there, it may be just a bit better, but not much, what's the next step, the temp is at 68 degrees, should I up that a bit?

Lady Hobbs
12-22-2006, 09:15 PM
Fungus meds. The Jungle drop in tabs for fungus work very well. However, they will set your tank back a bit and you may experience a small mini-cycle. It will clear back up in a few days tho.