PDA

View Full Version : angelfish sick

wendada
07-20-2008, 02:55 AM
Hey there,

I've had this angelfish for a couple weeks, he's kindof a little guy. Over the past few days I noticed his behavior has changed...he started spending most of his time hiding in a flowerpot or checking out his reflection in the back of the tank, rather than swimming with the other two angels I have in the tank. Today I found him stuck to the filter (which really wasn't much of a surprise). He's still alive, but has a hard time swimming or staying right-side-up. I moved him to a smaller tank becasuse he'll only get stuck to the filter again and also if he has anything contagious, I don't want him in the tank with my other angels.

The tank has been set up for a few months. It's a 29 gallon, the pH is at 7.2 or less. There's almost no detectable ammonia, nitrites, or nitrates. The water is a little hard, but I use water conditioner before I add it to the tank.

It might be too late to save him, but any insight as to what's going on would be appreciated....I haven't had to deal with a sick fish yet.

smaug
07-20-2008, 02:58 AM
You say "almost" no ammonia.What type test are you using?Any ammo at all is a big deal with most fish,especially angels.

Ryuu
07-20-2008, 02:58 AM
It kind of sounds like a swim bladder hm not quite sure.

EDIT oh good catch, almost is a big deal

wendada
07-20-2008, 02:59 AM
there is no detecable ammonia, and I do water changes pretty frequently

Ryuu
07-20-2008, 03:01 AM
Hm, its odd, when you say not swimming up wright, do you mean he is looking at the top of the tank, or the bottom, or is he on his side?

smaug
07-20-2008, 03:02 AM
Have you noticed any rough play among your angels?How big are they?

Billythefish
07-20-2008, 03:08 AM
Did you buy all 3 angels at the same time? What do you feed them ? What is your filter? Plants? How did you go about adding it to your tank?

wendada
07-20-2008, 03:10 AM
they're all really young, their bodies are a little bigger than a quarter. Right now i'm looking at the sick one and he's actually upside down. The fish tanks are in my bedroom; I see them interact a great deal and I haven't noticed anything you could really call rough play.

sorry, the replies come faster than I can read them. I bought each of my angels seperately and after I acclimate them I watch the ammonia and other levels pretty closely. I acclimated this one by leaving him in the bag for 1/2 an hour to get the temperatures the same. There was actually a lot of water in the bag, so I had to pour some out before I added some water from the tank, and left him for another 1/2 hour. Normally at that point I either add some more water or let the fish swim into the tank, but I've been reading that you don't want the water from the pet store in your tank, so I scooped him out and put him right in (with a net).

uhm, all of my angels have had a day where they acted confused, but after a day or so they come up to the front of the tank and eat out of my hand. the one that's sick suddenly stopped and started watching the corner of the tank with the heater...which is set at 77.

I feed them a mixture of tropical fish flakes (which I usually put underwater 1. because they eat out of my hand and 2. i don't like that they suck in air when they eat stuff that floats) and freeze-dried bloodworms. The filter is an AquaClear (I think - for some reason the name escaped me) with mechanical/chemical/biological filter.

Ryuu
07-20-2008, 03:13 AM
Upside down!!!! poor thing sorry im not to sure, im sure smaug and billy will figure it out tho, there probably two of the most imformatinal people ont he forum

smaug
07-20-2008, 03:15 AM
Being that small you dont normally see too much aggression.It could be any manner of ailment.I had angels hang out by themselves and hide for a few days like you mention,Ive not had any do the upside down thing unless the jig was up.Sorry I cant be of any assistance.BTW,what do you feed the little angels.

wendada
07-20-2008, 03:19 AM
well i'm not sure if anyone could give an accurage diagnosis, but i figured i'd look for any advice for the future.

smaug
07-20-2008, 03:23 AM
I have found small angels to be difficult to get off to a good start at times.The ones sold in my area are very particular to ph,but that is not your issue.I have found that the best way to get little angels is to be very particular when you choose,even if its not quite the color you want,always pick the ones that are the brightest eyed and bushiest tailed.

Lady Hobbs
07-20-2008, 01:26 PM
Your little guy has bloat. You will loose him I'm sorry to say.

Your filter is not the problem but your little guy is too weak to struggle against the current. Some fish gulp their food at the surface (angels) and can swollow air bubbles. If you can direct your water flow, try to direct it in an area away from their feeding area.