PDA

View Full Version : Cabomba plants

freshwaterfishlover
12-18-2006, 12:12 AM
This Is what I've read and what I've seen. I read that Cabomba plants grow pretty fast and keep up with fish eating it. What I've seen in my tank twice is The fish eat Cabomba plants and it never grows new leaves/grow fast.

What are your guy experience?

turbomkt
12-18-2006, 04:19 AM
How much light? Ferts? CO2? If you have less than 60 watts of light on the 30g, it will never work. If you've got 90+ watts, good ferts and CO2, you shouldn't have any problem. It's a weed at that point :)

Slinky_Bass
12-18-2006, 08:46 PM
I tried and tried to get it growing in my first tropical tank, but alas at that point I didn't have a clue about watts per gallon and full spectrum lighting etc. (and my LFS didn't have any good advice either) so it would slowly die off and mess up my tank.

Since then I have learnt, like Turbomkt pointed out, that it's a pretty demanding plant in many respects. If you want a fast growing plant try hygrophila, man that thing grows like a weed and thrives under a wide range of conditions.

I bought one pot of it when I started up my tank again 3 years ago and I need to trim it every two weeks or so otherwise it would completely overgrow my tank. As it matures it develops quite a sturdy and interesting root system so it wont be disturbed by rootling, active fish. It's not a bad looking plant either, there are some little hygro plants on the right of my skunk loach.

turbomkt
12-19-2006, 02:18 AM
And that's why Hygrophila polysperma isn't allowed to cross state lines in the US. It's considered a noxious weed and isn't even allowed to be sold in California. Asian Ambulia is another one.

Both are great for starting up a tank, though!