PDA

View Full Version : Red Ramshorn snail

kaoticice
07-19-2008, 02:31 AM
Hi guys
One of my lfs have just ordered heaps of red ramshorn snail today, and i was thinking on purchasing it. However, I've heard some bad stuff about them, and my main concern is their breeding habits. I don't want them to get out of control in my tanks, so is there a ways/methods to keep the numbers low without using chemicals or loaches? I'm planning to purchase about 6-8 of them in my 40 gallon tank is that a good number?

PUNISHER VETTE
07-19-2008, 03:02 AM
good luck lol.:22:

KingFisher
07-19-2008, 03:10 AM
SIx or eight today will be sixty or eighty in a month. LOL Good luck!:ezpi_wink1:

Ellen4God
07-19-2008, 03:14 AM
I would get a couple loaches :)

Jacko
07-19-2008, 03:27 AM
Keep water conditions at a good level, don't overfeed and all that. When they get to be too many then you can always scoop some out by sticking in a chunk of lettuce at night and removing it with all the snails attached in the morning. True Reds can actually fetch a sale on aquabid, so any extras you can offer up there.

Oh, and it insn't just loaches that will eat snails, some tetras, barbs and cichlids will eat them too.

kaoticice
07-19-2008, 03:43 AM
Keep water conditions at a good level, don't overfeed and all that. When they get to be too many then you can always scoop some out by sticking in a chunk of lettuce at night and removing it with all the snails attached in the morning. True Reds can actually fetch a sale on aquabid, so any extras you can offer up there.

Oh, and it insn't just loaches that will eat snails, some tetras, barbs and cichlids will eat them too.

Wow awesome.. the true reds ey?? i doubt the ones in my lfs are that good the ones in my lfs are still pretty small, but they're not that red, do you reckon they'll become pretty red intense in color as well?. i got 5 dwarf cichlid in the tank so i hope they'll get to reduce some of the numbers :thumb: